38. 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘰𝘤𝘬 𝘣𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘰𝘮

"I just don't get it, you guys all saw the map," Pope exclaims as JJ finishing smoothing down the soil on the newly refreshed grave that we've spent the last thirty minutes filling thanks to the work of Limbrey's men, "He hides his gold so no one finds it for over a hundred years, and then he sends a message to his son to come here to his mother's grave, but he never gets the message, and I'm sure we're in the right spot, it feels like-"

"Like we missed something?" JJ interrupts, grabbing our attention as he stares up at the tree.

"What is it?" I ask as he approaches the side of the twinkie, hauling himself up onto the roof, keeping his gaze transfixed on the tree, Kiara climbs up after him, as the rest of us observe from ground level.

"That looks like-"

"The painting from the Island Room," Kiara mutters.

"It's worth a shot, right?" JJ sighs, looking down at us.

"Nothing to lose, right?" I smile up at him reassuringly.

"Well, ladies first," JJ gestures between Kiara and the hole in the tree.

"I went into the storm drain, so I think it's your turn," Kiara steps back, leaving JJ closest to the tree.

"I think this one's on you, cowboy," I smirk at JJ, as we all watch in anticipation.

"Yeah, I've got this," JJ assures us as he cracks his knuckles in preparation.

"You're scared aren't you?" Sarah calls up to him.

"I'm not scared," JJ says firmly.

"You do seem scared," I nod in agreement as JJ slowly puts his hand into the hole.

"There's something in here," He announces, leaving us all in suspense, "Wait."

Suddenly he grunts in pain, causing John B and I to scramble towards the twinkie, ready to climb up as JJ continues to thrash his body around in an attempt himself from the tree.

"Come here," Kiara panics, grabbing onto his jacket.

I watch as the mood on JJ's face changes, his face erupting with laughter, as we all sigh with relief and frustration.

"I will kill you myself if you pull a stunt like that again," I huff, running my hand over my hair.

"And I'll help," John B sighs.

"Oh dude, I got all of you on that one!" JJ laughs.

"Nothing about any of that was funny," I exclaim.

"Wait, there is actually something in here," JJ mutters, his arm still in the hole. Slowly he pulls something out, a gold and mahogany cylinder.

"Let me see it," Pope holds his hands out to JJ.

JJ hands the object to Pope before climbing down from the roof of the twinkie, I watch as Pope brushes the side of it, "HMS Royal Merchant."

"Give it to the captain," JJ grabs it from his hand, stretching it out to reveal that it is in fact a telescope, "It's a spyglass, look."

"There's something written on it," I run my hand along the side of the telescope.

"She's right," John B looks over my shoulder, "An inscription right there."

"Holy shit," Pope whispers, taking the spyglass back into his hands.

"What does it say?" JJ asks him.

"You've come this far, do not falter, the cross is on the Freedman's altar." Pope reads.

"The church?" I look up at him.