33. 𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘴𝘵?

this is a double update, read 32 first!

We sped down to the harbour as quickly as physically possible, Pope worrying about his father the entire time. I've been trying my best not to dwell on Maggie's reaction to my overdose. I really hope that she doesn't tell our parents, I know how they're bound to react and I just really don't need that grief right now.

So now we're sitting on the dock with Pope's dad, he seems pretty shaken up, and he's pretty badly injured.

"Let me know if I'm hurting you." Sarah smiles gently, pressing a plaster down on the wound to his forehead.

"You're doing fine." Heyward sighs as the rest of us watch on.

"Pop, what happened?" Pope asks frantically as Sarah finishes patching Heyward up.

"I should've known better," Heyward sighs, "He came in just as I was about to lock up, he caught me by surprise and knocked me onto the floor, he asked me about the key from the drawing you showed me. And before you ask, I didn't say anything."

"I found it, Dad," Pope tells him, pulling an old key from his pocket. JJ told me about this when I was in hospital, explaining what happened on their 'excursion' to Charleston, "It was in Mee-maw's apartment, just like you said."

"You should've given this to me sooner," Heyward mutters as he takes the key from Pope, "I wouldn't have had to take such a beating. What's the big deal? It's not worth anything."

"I'm not sure, I got this letter telling me to go to Charleston, and this crazy rich lady wanted me to give her a key that I didn't know anything about." Pope explains.

"None of this makes sense." Kiara sighs.

"Well done just sit here whining about it," Heyward smiles, "Figure it out."

"No, I'll just give the key to the lady," Pope tells him.

"No way, I didn't raise you to back down from a fight," Heyward replies, "And I'm interested, because it must mean something for me to get a beating like this."

"They mentioned a cross, some kind of lost treasure." Pope explains.

"Well you should go see your great grandmother Mee-Maw, she'll have the answers you need."

ੈ✩‧₊˚

"We have received reports from Kildare County Sheriff's department that they have a warrant for the arrest of nineteen year old Rafe Cameron for the murder of Sheriff Peterkin," The reporter on the car radio announces, "The suspect may be armed and dangerous, so the Sheriff's department are asking the public to remain vigilant and to not approach the suspect, but to instead call the police."

"What would you do if you saw him, Sid?" Pope asks me, "Would you speak to him or would you call the cops?"

I lean back in my seat, staring out of the window, "Honestly, I don't know, there's so much I have left to say to him, and maybe I still mean enough to him that my words could talk him down from doing something stupid."

"Do you think he regrets it?" Kiara asks.

"I think he regrets losing me, but I think if he had to kill for Ward again he'd do it in a heartbeat." I tell her, part of me wishing that I could have just five minutes with Rafe before our world implodes.

His ring is still on my finger, and it's the only thing I have left tying me to him. I don't think I can bring myself to take it off just yet. I feel like I'm coping with the loss of mine and Rafe's relationship, but that's probably just because I'm focusing on what this key might lead to. If it ends up leading nowhere then that's when I'll start getting lost inside my own head all over again.