56. 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴

author's note: read 55 first!!!

I've made a lot of questionable decisions in my life, some that I stand by, and some that I regret. I'm still trying to work out which category asking Rafe for some space falls into.

It wasn't an easy decision, and as I walk away from his boat I stop myself from turning back, knowing that for now, space will do us both some good. I don't think either of us are entirely healed. In fact it's best not to sugar coat it, we're both still broken, and I'm not sure if our broken pieces fit together.

I don't even know who to go to, I can't go back to my family right now, because their insistent questions will just drive me crazy. But if I go back to the pogues, waiting for one of them to say 'told you so' will be like waiting for a ticking time bomb to explode.

"Hey sprinter," A voice startles me as I quicken my pace on the ramp back up to the retail area of the marina, "Where are you speeding off to?"

I turn around to see Leo, a surfboard under his arm and his wet hair pushed back out of his face, wearing nothing but a pair of board shorts and boots.

"Sorry, I didn't see you," I sigh, glancing back in the direction of Rafe's boat, "I'm just in my own head at the moment."

"Are you alright?" He asks, resting his surfboard against the handrail, "You seem a bit on edge."

"That's one way of putting it," I sigh, anxiously cracking my knuckles.

"You want a beer?" He asks innocently, "I'm staying in the flat above the Nixon family's bar."

"As long as my parents won't be there to ask hundreds of questions," I reply with a smile.

"Your Mum only does my laundry on Tuesdays, so we're in the clear," He teases, leading me up the ramp back towards the shops and bars.

The Nixon family own the bar at the end of the marina, it's more of a pogue spot than a kook hang out, which puts my mind at rest, knowing I'm unlikely to run into any of Rafe's associates.

We walk along the marina, passing my family's bar. I notice my parents and my sister through the open doors, but think better than to stop and talk. I just need to get out of this heat, and vent to someone who knows nothing about my life.

After passing Heyward's we reach Nixon's, which is looking more run down than last time I saw it, so if they're renting their upstairs area as an apartment, they must be struggling. Leo leads me around the side of the bar to a set of stairs up to another door, which I presume is for the flat so that he can come and go as he pleases without going through the bar. 

"Home sweet home," Leo sighs as he unlocks the door, letting me into his home which is basically an attic converted into a flat. There's a small kitchen area on the left and a couch on the right in front of a wall mounted TV. There's a narrow corridor with a door on either side, which I assume are the bedroom and bathroom.

"We can sit out on the balcony if you're too warm in here," He tells me, opening the fridge and retrieving a crate of beers.

"You've got a balcony?" I reply, visibly puzzled.

"Not exactly," He laughs, "Through that window and out onto the porch roof, I call it the balcony."

"I see," I nod, heading for the open window and climbing out onto the flat porch roof, Leo following close behind.

"What do you think?" He asks as we sit down on the two rickety plastic chairs that have been left up here.

"I absolutely love what you've done with the place," I grin, taking a beer from his hand.