14. 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰

I didn't call anyone, I didn't call Rafe, I didn't call my parents. I just walked for a solid hour, my eyes watery the entire walk, until I reached the middle of the cut, my legs are tired, my arms are bruised and I feel so lonely.

But how can I complain when it was all of my own making? I always knew deep down that being with Rafe would have consequences like this, and yes I knew JJ wouldn't approve, but I didn't think he'd lash out at me like that. If I had known that this would jeopardise the friendship that I'd die for I probably would never have got involved.

So as I'm sitting on the curb, just a few streets away from the pawnshop, the last person I expect to see is the Deputy Sheriff's son, Mason. He's walking towards me, a tentative smile on his face.

"Hi," I mumble, wiping my cheeks as I stand up.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asks, standing in front of me.

"I've been better." I smile half heartedly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks.

"I wouldn't want to burden you with my shit," I tell him.

"Try me." He smiles, leading me over to a bench on the side of the street.

"What would you do if your friends found out you were dating someone that they all hate?" I ask him, not really sure what I'm expecting him to say.

"I'd probably give them some space to breathe, but not too much space, and then when I feel ready to discuss it, I would approach them." He tells me.

"You think that would work?" I whisper, glancing up at him.

"I think it's worth trying," He sighs, "Because clearly these people all mean something to you that's too important to let go of."

"Yeah," I nod, "Something like that."

"Do you want me to drop you home?" He offers, "Because no offence but you do look like you could do with a bit of a refresh."

"You don't have to do that, I'll be fine." I insists.

"I know you'll be fine, but just let me help you." He smiles warmly.

"Okay, I'll take the lift, thanks." I smile awkwardly, slightly taken aback by his kind gesture.

Mason didn't pry, he didn't pester me to tell him what had happened or who I'm involved with, which I appreciated. We sat in silence the entire journey home, except for when he needed directions to my house.

Once I got home I felt incredibly relieved to see that my parents were still at work. I made my way upstairs to the bathroom and stood in the shower for what felt like an eternity. I washed my hair and vigorously scrubbed the dirt from today, hoping it would make me feel a bit better.

I did my whole post shower routine of moisturising and putting various oils in my hair, again hoping that it would make me feel better. I ended up getting dressed in a simple black racer back and white linen shorts, remembering that my parents invited Rafe over for dinner and I would probably feel better if I looked somewhat put together.

I've still got to tell Rafe that my friends know about us. I don't know what he'll say or what he'll think about it, and I worry that he'll freak out about people knowing about us. I know for a fact I can't tell him the extent of how JJ reacted because he'd probably get protective and in turn angry at JJ for upsetting me, which would just make matters worse.

I comb through my hair, deciding to let it dry naturally and apply a bit of tinted moisturiser to my face in an attempt to even out my skin tone and hide the tear stains on my cheeks. I add a bit of lip oil for good measure and upon looking at my reflection I feel a bit closer to being put together.