25. 𝘯𝘰 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘣𝘺𝘦

I've spent the majority of this morning watching Rafe pack his bag for the Bahamas, pretending that it's not happening. Maybe if I go back to sleep I'll wake up and Rafe will still be asleep beside me, and none of this will be happening.

But that's not reality is it? Reality is my boyfriend is putting various items of clothing into his bag. I've been trying to convince myself that everything will be fine when Rafe is gone, but I'm not entirely convinced.

"Are you going to stay here while I'm gone?" Rafe asks, folding a shirt and tossing it into the bag.

"I'm not sure," I mutter, pulling my knees up to my chest as I sit on the bed, "I might go and stay with my parents."

"You know you can stay here though, if you don't want to go back." Rafe smiles gently.

"I think I should go and see them," I tell him, "And I might do some shifts at the surf shop, because there's no way I'm going back to school."

"Don't your parents want you to go to college?" Rafe asks, "You need grades for that."

"Yeah they do, but I have zero interest in college," I sigh, "Besides, we both know that what our parents want for us isn't always what's best for us."

"Yeah," Rafe mutters under his breath, and I can tells that he thinks what I said was a loaded comment, which it was, because as far as fathers go, Ward Cameron is about equal with Luke Maybank, "Have you seen my phone charger?"

"Could you have left it downstairs or in your father's office?" I suggest.

"The office probably," Rafe sighs.

"I'll go see if I can find it." I smile, slipping out of the bedroom and down the hallway, stopping at the office door.

My hand lingers over the doorknob as I hesitate, hearing the sound of Ward's voice on the other side of the door, "My son and I will be there later today, we'll be requiring armed escorts to accompany us to the airfield."

I had kind of figured that they'd be going for the gold, but as far as I'm aware, Rafe still knows nothing about it. I mean, knowing Rafe he most likely wouldn't be able to stop talking about the gold if he knew about it.

"There was a break in at my house the other day," He continues to explain over the phone, my mind instantly rushing to the likely conclusion that it could have been John B and Sarah trying to get their hands on the gold, "I need you to put your best men on this."

My heart begins to race as I wonder whether John B and Sarah realise how much bigger this is than they thought. Maybe I could find a way to get a message to them, if I speak to Pope, JJ and Kie, they could send them a text, warning them.

"I'm trusting you officer, this cargo is priceless, if anything happens I will blame you personally," Ward adds, "Great, I'll see you at Paradise Island."

Once he's hung up the call, I knock gently against the door, hoping he won't realise that I was listening outside the door.

The door opens and Ward appears in front of me, looking startled, "Sidney, what can I do for you?"

"Rafe said you might have his phone charger," I smile awkwardly, feeling immediately intimidated by the intensity of his stare, and the fierce darkness in his eyes.

"Oh right," He smiles emotionlessly, opening the door and letting me into the office, "It'll probably be on the desk."

Ward leads me over to the desk, picking up the phone charger from his desk and handing it to me, "I'm sorry to have disrupted your plans." He smiles with minimal sincerity.