two

They quickly explained the plan to me. In and out, quick. I knew Kie, Pope and John B were still looking at me suspiciously, but they made a plan that would make me keep tabs on everything Ward (and Rafe) did. It was almost perfect, except I wasn't sure if I was excited to talk to them after hearing what they had done.

Everyone was in the van while John B drove to the house. Sarah's eyes widened when she saw the house. She must miss her family. I still didn't completely trust these people, but I did trust Sarah. She turned to me and held my hand, "Good luck."

I gave her an encouraging squeeze and opened the van door. The handle was rusting and paint was chipping on its sides. Even though it was a broken sad-looking van, it was cosy.

As I walked toward the gate, I looked back and saw everyone staring at me. JJ sent a thumbs up.

I took a deep breath and walked toward the guardhouse. I plastered a fake smile on my face and waved at the guard. Thankfully, they hadn't replaced him, "Hey, Phil." 

The guard squinted at me before he recognised who I was, "Look who it is!" He laughed and opened the gate. "Your dad coming?"

I shivered. This was another flaw in the plan -- my Dad. "Uh, no. I'm just here to visit," I repeat the words Pope had said to me. 

Phil nodded and I walked through the gate, forcing myself not to turn back. I was afraid of the plan not working, but I was also afraid of Rafe. He would suspect me the minute I open my mouth. He trusted no one. 

I rang the bell once. I couldn't bring myself to do it again. The house was just as I remembered, with tall white pillars and walls, the fountain in the middle. I noticed they had grown some pretty rose bushes near the walls. I was busy admiring the house, I had not noticed the door had opened. 

A man opened the door. I didn't know who he was, even though it sparked some familiarity in the way he stood in front of me. Perhaps he was a close friend of the Camerons who I had once met. I looked up at his dark blue eyes that stared at me. He was very tall. He used his elbow to lean on the frame as he stood barefooted in front of me. "Um," I swallowed as I felt a trickle of sweat rolling down my back, "may I see Rafe Cameron?"

His eyebrows raised. A hint of a smirk played on his pink lips, "Why?"

I turned away, gathering all my courage, "I need to speak to him." I felt the boy's gaze on me like a weight. It made me want to disappear. I couldn't stop myself when I looked back at the boy. He ran his hand through his brown hair. 

He sucked on his cheek, trying to stop a smile from forming. "And what do you need to say to him?" 

He was getting on my nerves. I stood in front of him, leaning on one leg, hands crossed. "Unless you're his bodyguard or something, can I please see him?"

He couldn't escape his smile this time. "This way," he moved away, allowing me to go inside. 

When I walked past him, I only realised how powerful he looked. One of the head Kooks, I guessed. His presence was always near as we walked into the house. It was the exact way I remembered. Big and grand. The boy walked in front of me. He radiated heat that weirdly sent a shiver down my spine. His shoulder blades were clear against his thin shirt. He wore simple jeans and had gold bulky rings on his fingers. My mind was racing. Who was he?

He opened a wooden door that I only have one memory of. When he followed me into the room, I realised who he was. He crossed his arms after he closed the door, making his arms bulge against his shirt. "What is it you wanted to tell him?"

I swallowed and turned around. Rafe had changed. So much. He wasn't the same boy years ago. He was a monster now, and his height and bulk only intimidated me more. Why was I so stupid.