sixteen

"Rafe?" He was pacing around the room, teeth clenched and sweaty hair. I went up to him gently and asked, "What happened?"

He ignored me and plopped down on the couch, shaking his head. Rafe was whispering quickly to himself, "No, no, no, no..."

I noticed he was wearing a black blazer with a familiar insignia on it. It was Ward's. I smiled at Rafe and held his hand, feeling the cold metal of his rings. I didn't need to know what he was thinking to know he was stressing out. He looked up to his father and now that he was gone, Rafe was lost. He didn't know what to do or where to go, but it was part of the process. 

"He didn't leave anything," he spat angrily. "He didn't leave the accounts and now we're fucked."

The Swiss accounts, I guessed -- the gold. It was funny that it was what had gotten me into this mess. A lie I had made to gain insight on Ward and Rafe, to learn about their every move. But look at me now. Here I am, sitting with Rafe and holding his hand. I was different from the person I had been in the last few weeks, but I didn't want anything to change. 

Rafe shook off my hand and leaned back on the couch, eyes closed. "We talked to the banks and searched his computer but there's nothing to find. Dad hadn't told us the name of the bank or account so we have no idea where the hell the gold is right now." He sighed and rubbed his eyes with his fingers. "And we're so much fucking debt we need two million dollars in a month." He groaned and kicked the coffee table. The cups on it rattled and fell to the side, rolling off. Rafe stood up and walked out. 

I didn't know their business was so screwed up. That's probably why Dad didn't come here this year -- because Ward was in debt with him too. 

I got up. It was time to give someone a call.

* * * * *  

"Hello?"

"Y/n?" It was Jen, my father's secretary. She was kind to me, giving me lollipops when I was a kid. 

"Yeah, it's me," I sighed.

"I am so worried about you. Where are you?"

I ignored her, "Hey um, is my Dad around?"

"He..." I knew he didn't care I was gone, but I didn't bother. "He's out for a meeting right now, why?"

I raised my eyebrow. "With who?" Dad never went to meetings. I remember him saying that they were a waste of time and email worked just as well. And he never got up for anyone. He never went to someone else's office when he wanted to talk, except for Ward, when they discussed important things. I had a feeling Dad was helping with the gold. So that means that the meeting Jen was talking about was not a normal meeting. 

"I'm sorry, I can't say," I could hear her worried tone.

"Jen," I warned. With Dad being completely blind about everything except his work, it gave me easy access to everything else. I could hire a new secretary in a heartbeat and Dad wouldn't care or notice. But I wasn't going to do that, that would be cruel. 

"I don't know..." This was a really important meeting then. 

"Can you find out for me?" 

There was a moment of hesitation before she sighed. "Fine." I smiled at the phone. "But, you have to tell me where you are, y/n. I'm concerned about you. You disappeared for weeks out of the blue."

"OBX," I quickly said. So fast I hoped she didn't catch it, but before she could ask me again, I cut her off, "Text me, okay?" Before I could hear her lecture, I hung up, "Bye."

* * * * *

The Bonfire was tonight, but did I want to go? Not really.