twenty-two

It was dark, only shadows visible with the dim road lights a distance away. I could barely see his face, and his eyes were dark, not blue. I smiled -- dark eyes didn't match him at all. My heart was pounding, still recovering from what happened as I put on my shoes. I was grateful for the dark because I knew I was blushing harder than I ever had. 

Once Rafe had pulled on his shirt, he drove us back to the house. Every few minutes, his eyes would flick to me as I watched yellow lights shine on me before passing. "I'm okay," I reassured him. 

He swallowed before he said, "I don't want to--" he sighed heavily and gripped the wheel tight, "I'll tell you when we're back home."

Home. It had changed definition in the past few weeks. It was like Dad was a distant memory now.

The ride back home was quiet, not uncomfortably quiet, when my phone beeped. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through Jen's messages:

I'm sorry, y/n. Your Dad didn't talk to me about it.  

I waited for her as she typed. 

You'd better come back soon. I miss you. Stay safe.

I was about to reply to her when Rafe asked me, "Who's Jen?"

I didn't know he was reading over my shoulder. I raised my eyebrow, "Does it matter?"

He scoffed before his eyebrow furrowed, "Why do you think everything doesn't matter?"

I scowled, "I didn't--"

"So what we did, didn't matter either then?" he pressed. 

"Rafe," I snapped. 

"Cause everything matters to me, okay?" He motioned his hand to his chest, his eyes on the road. 

"Rafe, please," I urged. He was getting too paranoid. "Jen's not who you think, and I'm sorry, I should've just told you."

His shoulders relaxed, but there was still doubt in his eyes, "I just don't want you to leave."

"I won't. You know that," I told him. It wasn't going to be that easy to make me go back to my old life.

"Promise me?" he said. It was more of a demand than a question.

"I promise."

* * * * * 

I hopped out of the truck, pulling my jacket closer and putting up its hoodie. The house was as bright as ever like a star. Rafe fumbled with his keys before he slipped the wrong one in, the door not budging. He nearly broke off the handle before I stepped in for him and picked out the right key. There were only a few keys, but they had colours marked on them, which I smiled at. I pinched at the right one and slipped it into the lock and gently turned the handle, pushing open the door, "See, that wasn't so hard, was it?"

Rafe groaned and went inside, his hands in his pockets. I closed the door behind me when I saw something move over the wall. Probably just a squirrel. 

I followed Rafe into the living room, where Rose was sitting there, with a glass of brandy in her hand. She turned to us, but her mood changed the second she saw me. Rose stood up and set her cup on the coffee table. She cleared her throat and crossed her hands, "I'm sorry, y/n, but you need to leave."

Rafe acted before I could. "Leave?" he snapped. He waved his hand to me, "She's not going anywhere." 

Rose stood in front of her stepson, "Listen, Rafe, I need to talk to you," she looked to me and added, "privately."