twenty-six

My hands shook as his voice echoed in my head: Steal the cross.

I had no reason to do it-- none.

But why did I feel a sudden tug in my chest, pulling me to the cross, a few stairs below? 

My dad didn't deserve it...but neither did Rafe.

I held my head in my hands as anger boiled its way to my chest. I let out a groan and flung my phone into the ocean in front of me. My hair blew in my face, sticking to my face from tears. I gripped the metal rails and closed my eyes for a second. There was so much happening in so little time. Ward hadn't told me of his plan -- I didn't know what they were going to do to the cross or where they were going to take it. I didn't even know what was going to happen to me. 

Rafe had said they were here -- the Pogues -- and that he was going to find them. Even though he said he wasn't going to let them get the cross, a small part of me hoped they did. It rightfully belonged to Pope's family...but here I was again, choosing sides. It was like a game of chess now -- it was all about fooling your enemy -- so who would I choose? The Pogues? Or Rafe? 

Until now, the cross didn't have anything to do with me. 

I could get it for my father, and maybe have a chance of being appreciated.

Or I could get it for myself. 

After all, I knew exactly how the White and Black were going to play.

 * * * * *

I was going up the steps to the bridge when I saw a tumble of familiar blonde hair. 

"Sarah?" I whisper-shouted.

She was peeking into a window where, no doubt, the captain was in. She turned her head to me and started running in the opposite direction, but I caught her hand.

"Don't worry, I won't say anything," I said and let go of her, half-expecting her to run -- she didn't.

Sarah pursed her lips. She looked back into the window, and I followed her lead. 

"No, no, no. We're on track," a man with sunburned skin said. He was talking into a radio that looked it had come from a 90s movie. "Well, they just put in brand-new gauges..."

I didn't know why Sarah was here. Why did she want to eavesdrop on the captain talking about ship parts? 

I flicked my eyes to her and I saw her completely ignore the captain, and only focus on a phone that rested behind him. She wanted to call for help, I guessed. 

Sarah started walking toward the door of the bridge. "You sure it'll work?" I asked flatly. 

She licked her lips and stood up straight, her eyes squinted at me-- or the sun, I didn't know. 

"Why are you even here?" she said sharply. 

"I'm here to help--"

"Not for the right reason," she added, "or the right people." Sarah took a step toward me, "You know he's wrong. You know we need to tell Shoupe my dad's alive and send them to jail--"

It was my turn to interrupt her, "Are you seriously telling me that you're going to willingly send your whole family to jail?" She looked appalled. "Just like that, you think it's that easy? You think there isn't anything else behind it?" She was already walking away, but I continued, "Listen, Sarah, you're right, okay? Rafe and Ward deserve to go to jail. But even then, someone else would go after the cross, even if it's in a museum." I swallowed as she turned back to me. She held a completely different gaze than Rafe's. They honestly had so many differences, I wondered if they really were siblings at all.