eighteen

With every step, my heart slammed against my chest. There was a cloth over the table, but it was thin enough I could see his shadow. Rafe walked slowly around the room, looking behind curtains and doors when all that was left was the table. 

I quietly pulled out the paper from my pocket and read it. 

I was right. They were moving the gold from Nassau on a ship, but there was more cargo -- a prized artefact. I didn't know what he had gotten his hands on, but it must be important. I bit my lips from stopping myself from breathing too loud as Rafe crouched down. I could see the shadow of his hand reach for the cloth, but Rose yelled, "Rafe! We have to go!"

Rafe grumbled and before he stood up he murmured, "You can't hide from me." 

Even when his footsteps became quieter, I didn't dare come out. I needed to calm down and process what was going on. The paper in my hands is could be clear evidence that Ward is still alive...but then again, this could just be what Rose is planning, and Rafe lied to me. I thought this was just about the gold, but it's something much bigger than I thought. 

"Pope, look." It was Sarah. I needed to tell her everything I knew, but I was confused -- what was she talking about?

I listened from under the table. 

There were footsteps as people started coming into the room. "Woah! You've got to be kidding me," Pope said. 

"Yeah, I know right? It's the island room," Sarah replied. "It's been here this whole time."

"No freaking way," I heard John B say. 

"This definitely means something," JJ said and hummed. 

I could see their shoes from under the table as they walked around the room. I didn't know what they were looking at since I had just rushed into the room and dove under the table. 

I crawled to the cloth and pulled it up, coming out from under the table quietly. "Shit!" Kie gasped and stared at me as I stood up. 

Everyone watched me with wide eyes, but I ignored them, looking around the room. JJ was right, this had to mean something. The wallpaper was peeled off in a rush, pieces of it lying on the ground, revealing drawings of buildings and words. The colours were fading like they had been drawn a very long time ago. 

"Y/n!" Sarah smiled and walked to me. "What are you doing here?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and took out the paper, "Sarah, I don't think your Dad is dead."

Her smile immediately drooped, "What?"

John B and the rest watched me curiously and I felt Kie and JJ reading the paper from over my shoulder. "Your Dad wanted to ship something from Nassau. I'm thinking the gold right? But here it says something else." I pointed at the paper.

"Historic artefact," JJ said for me and looked at Pope. They knew what it was, but I didn't.

"What is it?"

"The key that Limbrey and Renfield were after opens a cross that was on the Royal Merchant. Apparently, there's a healing shroud in there which explains why she's after it," JJ explained quickly. "The cross was stolen by the Captain on the Royal Merchant, who was a Limbrey and left everyone on board to die during a hurricane. Denmark was the only one who survived. It was in his diary which a whole 'nother story but anyway the cross is about seven feet tall," Kie showed me a drawing of it on her phone, "and made of gold and jewels. It was the Spanish King's most prized possession." JJ waved at Pope, "Until my guy Pope here, gave Renfield the key."

Pope ignored him and recited something, "The path to the tomb begins in the island room -- that's what was on the key."

I looked around us, on the walls. "This is the island room."