six

Rafe smiled darkly and chuckled, "Get the hell out of the way, y/n."

I swallowed before saying, "Didn't you say I was killing you?" Rafe's breathing got quicker, but I moved even closer to the gun. The end was touching my skin. "Do it, Rafe!" I knew it was risky especially with his history of killing people. I hoped that he wouldn't pull the trigger -- it was the only thing I could do.  If I moved away, JJ's head would be blown off.

I felt small drops of water on my head. Rafe clenched the gun harder but his elbow was giving up. I saw then that he was wearing a black suit and a white button-up shirt. His tie hanged closely around his neck and his top button was open. It helped to distract myself from the weapon that was held to my head. I felt someone's hand around my wrist, trying to pull me away, but I shook it off. 

JJ and Kie yelled at me to move, but they were faint. It was just me, Rafe and the gun.

I looked back at Rafe and saw his blue eyes darken when I put my hand around the barrel of the gun. "Do it," I whispered, loudly enough for him to hear. Rafe yelled and looked away as he moved his fingers.

* * * * *

I held the gun in my hand as the rain started getting heavier. Rafe had let go of the gun. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Topper and Kelce were looking nervously between each other when they let go of Kie and JJ. They both ran to the shadows where the others were. I nearly ran with them, but I...didn't. Before JJ disappeared, he held up both of his middle fingers to Topper and Kelce. Like a greeting, they did it back. 

"What the hell were you doing, Rafe?" Kelce asked and held his shoulder. 

Rafe shook it off and hissed at Kelce, "Leave me alone." 

"Rafe you nearly--" Topper tried.

"I said," Rafe said calmly before he shouted, "LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE." Rafe was pulling at his hair and was pacing around. Topper and Kelce hurriedly walked toward the house as the rain sped up. I wanted to shrink away in the shadows. The rain was soaking my hair now.

 I took that moment to let the gun fall to the ground and pushed the dirt over it with my feet. 

This was my chance. I ran in the direction Kie and JJ went, but something clutched my wrist.

Rafe said sharply, "Don't go." The sound of the rain was the only thing I heard when Rafe pulled me to him. He stared at my face as my heart pounded. 

I looked up at him in shock and pushed my hands on his chest. "Rafe," he stared at my lips, "what are you doing?"

"Finishing what I started," he breathed and pressed his lips on mine. His hand pushed my back and my hands moved up to his wet hair. The rain was showering on us. His neck was slippery from the water and his lips were pressed hard against mine. He bit down on my bottom lip, making me sigh into his mouth. 

What was I doing? 

But the voice inside my head was not louder than the rain and the way Rafe's hands held me. I tried pulling away, but Rafe only forced his mouth on mine harder. 

Rafe Cameron, a killer, a liar, was here, with me. Was this a lie too?

The rain masked my tears as they fell in my mouth. The bitter taste reminded me of the blood that was in my mouth yesterday. Rafe nearly killed me, so who was this?

I forced myself away and breathed. Rafe came toward me, water running down his face, but I backed away. He closed his eyes and swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. "What the hell, Rafe?" I shouted at him through the rain. Why is he acting like someone he isn't? Did the Rafe that nearly kill me just disappear?