seven

In the van, there were two cans of fuel and bags filled with food. They knew they had to leave. John B and Pope were at the front, while the rest of us sat at the back. "Who's boat are you going to use?" I asked and looked at them. 

JJ scratched his cheek, the place where he was bruised. Kie said, "JJ said they can use his dad's boat." She looked at him worriedly. There was something about his dad. Kie looked to John B. "Drop us off at the place and we'll bring the boat at the meetup." I had no idea where they were talking about, but it looked like they had already planned this. 

John B explained to me as he turned the wheel, "Me and Sarah were supposed to go to Mexico, but when you told us the gold was going to Nassau, we decided to change course. We already planned to leave, but we didn't know when."

"Now's a pretty good time," JJ added. 

John B dropped us off and drove away. Kie told me that he was going to get Sarah. 

We were in a warehouse and there was a huge white boat there. JJ went to it, "Hey, girl." He turned to us, "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1." He looked at the boat with admiration. "The Phantom." Kie shrugged. He clicked his tongue and looked back at us, "The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours." JJ ran his hand over the metal. "Forty years old. Forty!"

"Wow," Pope said sarcastically.  

JJ ignored him, too busy worshipping the boat. "And still the fastest thing that Kildare has ever seen."

Kie scrunched up her face, uninterested. "It's kinda a junker."

Pope snickered and I tried to hold back my smile. 

JJ looked at Kie, disappointed, "Really, Kie? She's right there. She can hear you." Kie raised her eyebrows. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her."

Kie sighed, "I just hope it runs."

"Oh no, she'll run all right. She's faster than any cutter the boys in blue got," JJ said proudly.

I heard tires screeching, and when I went to see who it was, my blood chilled. It was Rafe. He didn't look at me when he walked toward the others. "Hey, there. What's going on?" Kie and Pope were stunned as much as I was. "Oh hey there JJ." JJ's head turned to him and I knew he craved for his gun. 

Rafe jumped and grabbed the metal rail. He swung himself on the boat and whistled. I heard someone clear their throat behind me and turned and saw a man with a ponytail. I didn't know who he was, but he gave me a bad feeling. "Well, well, well..." he said and watched us. Rafe hopped down the boat like it was walking. The man clicked a gun and pulled it on JJ. Pope's eyes widened. Kie kept looking between the man and JJ. 

I was looking at Rafe, but he didn't even glance in my direction. 

The man said, "See, I'm here because I want my motherfucking money," he yelled in JJ's face and punched him. Pope went to the man and tried taking the gun.

Kie ran, "JJ!" Rafe caught her and pulled her away. "Rafe!" She screamed and pulled at his hands. I knew first-hand that he was not going to let go, but I still pulled at his arms, trying to let Kie go. 

The man screamed at JJ, "That's what I'm here for!"

Rafe pushed me and I fell back on the floor. "Where's John B?" he demanded from Kie.

"I don't know!" she said and slapped him. 

His head flung to my side. His eyes burned through me before he turned back to her. "You are going to wish you didn't do that."

I heard the man's voice say, "Stay down boy," when he gave JJ one final punch. Pope hit the man straight in the nose, causing him to let go of JJ.