twenty-three

Rose had her foot on the gas pedal the whole drive as the sun started to go up. Wheezie kept asking what was going to happen, and she would always receive the same answer from Rose, "We're going on a family trip." Wheezie wasn't dumb to know something was going on, but she knew better than to ask further. I could see she was worried. Little did she know, her father was only a couple of miles away. 

I checked the side mirror and saw that the Twinkie was still following us. I knew they were after Sarah, but even I didn't know what Rose and Ward had planned. The only thing I knew was that they were shipping the gold and the cross with the Camerons on board. I also knew there was going to be a very unpleasant family reunion between father and daughter. I just had to hope I wouldn't be in the room. 

The pills were wearing off as Sarah started sitting up, holding her head. "Are you okay?" I asked her and looked at her from the rear-view mirror. 

"Yeah," she groaned and sat up completely, with Wheezie helping her. When Sarah realised where we were, she snapped, "Where are we? What's going on?"

"Calm down, Sarah," Rose said and turned the wheel into the gate. 

There was a big boat in front of us, with a ramp waiting for us. I looked for a familiar face but didn't see him. I was about to ask Rose when I saw the truck, the back doors open. Rose parked quickly as we all broke out from the car. Immediately, I heard the sounds of distant horns and men shouting. I smelled the salt of the sea and the heavy scent of metal. Rose was clutching Sarah as she brought her to the ramp, with Wheezie following. 

I walked around the truck and saw Rafe standing there, hands in his pockets. He watched with muddy clothes as a crane pulled a big crate up and onto the ship. There was a smirk on his face as he said, "It was a pain in the ass to get this." The dockworkers chuckled around him before getting back to work. I came to Rafe as the crane lowered the crate onto the boat. The cross was on the boat. It's done. 

Rafe looked down at me with a muddy face. His hair dangled on his forehead with sweat and mud as I noticed there was dried blood above his lip. "What happened?" I brought my hand up to his face, but he grabbed my hand and threw it away. 

His blue eyes burned through me. "Nothing," he snapped and ran his hand through his hair, not looking at me. He walked toward the ramp, with me following behind him. I didn't know what was going on with him, but I was going to find out. Not now, though. 

I walked to him when I heard a thundering blast from my left. I screamed and stepped back, even though it was a far distance away. It spewed out smoke and fire and a hissing noise. Something had caught on fire and had flared. Rafe was next to me in an instant, his arm over my shoulder, forcing me to run toward the ramp. I heard men shouting and hurrying toward the outburst and trying to distinguish it. A fire alarm blared and I could barely hear Rafe's voice in my ear, "Are you okay?" He was shielding me with his muddy body as I tried answering, but my voice died out. "Call the fucking fire department!" he yelled over the noise to the dockworkers as we went to the boat. 

I started to smell the smoke as we went up the ramp, Rafe still having his arm over me, breathing heavily. I took a moment to look back and saw the dockworkers moving double-time, driving the huge containers to the ship. I looked over the rail of the ramp and saw the water, trying to claw its way up the side of the boat. 

We were inside the boat, but Rafe still hadn't moved away from me, causing him to rub the mud and dirt on my clothes, but I didn't care. I was just hoping no one got hurt from that sudden blast. 

Rafe's arm loosened around me, falling to my waist. I saw someone at the end of one of the long corridors and went to them, with Rafe behind me. Maybe one of the workers could help us navigate around the boat. As I walked to them, they became clearer...and there was nothing to describe my mixed feelings.