thirteen

I was fiddling with my fingers as I sat on the couch. Rafe was pacing around and running his hand through his hair. Sweat was beading above his eyebrows and lip. "What if Shoupe listens?" I asked quietly. What if Shoupe listened to Kie, JJ, Pope, Sarah, and everyone who was against Ward? I knew the Camerons would be as good as dead. Rafe would be as good as dead. 

"He won't. He won't," Rafe muttered. 

I stood up and faced the truth. I remembered seeing JJ and Kie's betrayed faces while I let Ward lie. I remembered seeing Sarah crying and clawing against the cops to go to John B. But what if it was Rafe who was going to jail? What would I do then? Would I break him out? Would I cry for him?

"What if he does? What are you going to--" I reached for Rafe.

He turned to me, eyes a flaming blue and yelled, "I don't know!" I stepped back and let my hand fall. "I'm sorry," he said gently and came to me. 

"I know, Rafe," I snapped and pushed away his hands. 

He didn't protest and only continued pacing around. "Everything will be all right, okay?" he said through bared teeth and turned to me.

I swallowed anxiously and looked down at my feet. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," he said gently and watched me with soft blue eyes. It was then that I completely forgot that Rafe had killed Sheriff Peterkin.

* * * * * 

Rafe*

I tried asking Dad who he would choose but he's not as strong as he seems. I told him that I was the one who saved him, who helped him, who came with him to the Bahamas, who stayed with him, but no, he always cares about her. He denied that he would ever choose between us. How stupid did he think I was?

"You just can't do it, can you?" I said to him and stood up. I threw the chair to the wall, breaking its legs. "You can't do the hard thing."

Dad snapped, "I can't do the hard thing?"

"No, you can't do the hard thing!" I shouted and walked to him. "You can't even look at me when I'm trying to talk to you," I yelled.

Dad pushed me back, coming toward me furiously. He slapped my face, but I pulled at his arms. He forced me back and I stumbled against the table, glass breaking. I groaned as I stood up but Dad struck my face, my whole body was thrown to the side. I banged my hands on the table and held my cheek, panting quickly. 

"How many times did I bail you out before, huh?" he shouted, saliva flying. "How many?!" I turned to him painfully, not because of his hits but because of his words. "You saved me?" He laughed, "Rafe," tears prickled my eyes, "YOU FUCKED US!" His voice broke, "ALL OF US!" He pointed around him.

I stormed out of the room and slammed the door shut. I drove the heels of my hands into my eyes to force the tears back. "Fuck!" I walked into the balcony. Dad was right -- I had screwed us up. I remembered what Dad told me. "Man up." I took a deep breath. "Man up."

I was already annoyed at how right Dad was but when someone's phone started beeping, I was about to lose my shit. I grabbed the phone and was about to throw it off the edge until I saw the messages:

Where are you? I gotta c u. Wheeze plz answer me. Hello?? We need to talk to you ASAP. Call me, Wheezie. CALL. ME. NOW.

I knew who this was and she ruined everything. I don't know how she got Dad to still care about her, but I wasn't going to. I remembered y/n being afraid of what would happen. That bitch could take Dad but not y/n. 

The only thing you can do is fix it. 

I opened the messages and quickly texted back.

* * * * *