twenty-seven

"Where are they?" he muttered.

I only watched him turn away from me. He bent down and pulled the wooden lid over the cross. His shirt stretched, pulling at the sides and curving over his shoulder blades. 

"I said," he whispered before yelling, "WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY?" My stomach lurched. I was completely frozen and only stared at him breathing heavily like he was out of breath. 

Rafe stood up to his full height, which seemed taller than normal. He walked over to me. I backed away into the wall as he dipped his head down to me. His breath was cool on my face as he said, "I don't know why you're protecting them, but I'll fucking find out." He slammed his palm to the wall, next to my ear. The heat around me was overwhelming. I was close enough to hear him seethe, "And I'll kill them."

"Don't--" 

Abruptly, I heard a man's voice ring in my ears, "Attention all passengers and crew, please report to the forward hall." Probably the captain. There was something about the way he said it like he was reading off a script or something.

Rafe turned his head up somewhere above where I was standing, exhibiting his neck. I couldn't draw my eyes away from him.  A droplet streamed down his neck as his Adam's apple bobbed up and down. My heart beat triple its normal pace.

The speaker repeated, this time more urgently, "Attention all passengers and crew, please report to the forward hall."

Now, Rafe turned his attention to me. His piercing blue eyes stared through me and I knew there was something on his mind. His eyes flicked down to my lips before he sniffled and took a step back, putting space between us -- or allowing me to leave, I didn't know. But either way, I didn't want him to move away. He didn't even look at me, yet I would rather just stand there with him close and have everything around us crumble. 

* * * * *

Rafe* 

We just stood there, waiting for the other to leave. But it was like we were nailed on the spot. 

My breaths became deeper and quicker as a fever rose deep in my chest with every second passing by.  

How could she protect those shitty Pogues? The ones who wanted to ruin everything -- who wanted to take everything from me. She knew it better than anyone. I was so close to finding them and getting rid of them for good. Except my only obstacle was my only flaw -- her.

But the warmth in my chest was not rage or anger, it was something unwelcome, but addicting. 

I rubbed my sweaty upper lip. "Where are they?" I mumbled. I trailed my eyes from the floor slowly toward her, taking in the way she stood, her position, but most of all, how far away she was from me. I stuck my gaze on her eyes, which glittered in panic. 

When she didn't answer, I shrunk the gap between us, my eyes never leaving her. She pushed herself into the wall behind her as if she was trying to go through it. I was amused by the fear I made her feel. It was nice to see I still had control over her.

"I'll ask again," I said and pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. I brought my mouth over her ear, "Where are they hiding?"

This time, I didn't rely on her heartbeat. She was too vulnerable to lie now. The truth was, I had already guessed where they were -- the containers. It made sense; how they got on the ship, why no one had found them. I just wanted to see a little bit of honesty. 

She swallowed and sighed. She said, "They're in the containers." That was easy, wasn't it? 

I brought my hand down from her hair and brushed it on the side of her neck. She shivered. "Are you still scared of me?" I whispered and brushed my thumb on her mouth, parting her lips gently. I noticed her chest rose and fell quickly, and how her head tilted up to me. "I forgot to thank you."