nineteen

We scrambled into the van and John B drove, but the tide had come in, making the road disappear underwater. "Crap! The tide!"

"This doesn't look good," Pope said.

"You think?" John B replied and hit the brake before the water started. 

"How high are the spark plugs?" JJ turned to us. 

John B shrugged and looked out of his window, turning back, "I wanna say...three feet?"

JJ nodded, "Right above the taillight?" John B hummed in agreement and faced the nonexistent road in front of him. "No problem," JJ turned back to the front. "We're good. She'll make it."

"Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts and hold on to something," John B said scary calm. "We're going into hyperdrive."

Sarah held on to his seat and I held on to the car handle while JJ said, "I'll just say a quick prayer." He gestured to his forehead then chest, "Dear Harry Potter--" Twinkie revved as the wheels pushed against the mud, shaking the whole vehicle. Everyone yelled and cheered as we moved into the water. "Go, go, go!" Water splashed against the windows as we were nearly thrown to the front. The van was trying to race through the water and mud. Kie had her eyes closed as JJ screamed, "Speed is your friend. Speed is your friend, John B!" 

We were nearly at the end. I can't believe this rusty van made it through all that mud. "Oh my God! Oh my God!" Sarah yelled happily.

I was thrown to the side as Twinkie made a sharp turn to the right and lurched into the water. "Oh shit!" I sat up and rubbed my head. Sarah was on her stomach, pushing herself up. Kie and Pope were thrown to the back and were getting up.

JJ turned back to us, "Everyone okay back there?" He stared at Kie for an extra second before he looked at us. 

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no," John B said and slammed his hands on the wheel.

"I think we miscalculated," Pope stated. 

"Just a little." Sarah pinched her fingers.

"I knew I should've driven," JJ said and opened his door. We all came down from the now sinking van. The water was freezing as it swished below my knees.

"We can walk from here," Pope suggested.

"What? And leave Twinkie?" John B frowned. "The tide's coming in. She'll be a submarine."

"So what are we supposed to do?" Sarah asked.

"Not stay here. Those gators will be coming," JJ reminded us. 

Kie shook her head, "I can take my dad's truck."

"You sure?"

"How much worse could it get, you know?" I didn't even want to ask. 

"We need something to pull her out," JJ said. "There's a winch at the Chateau. That's like, two miles."

"Okay, then you guys go." John B pointed to the Twinkie, "Better hurry -- tide's coming in."  

* * * * *

"Don't touch it, it will get infected," I said to Sarah as she tore his jeans from the ankle to the knee. John B was bit by an alligator in the calf. Blood was pouring down his leg as he panted. 

"I mean why was did we think it was a good idea to send out the two slowest people on Earth to get help?" Pope complained.

Sarah inspected John B's wound, "You're lucky it didn't cut into muscle too much."