fifteen - pinky promise ?

The sky was deceptively clear

The sky was deceptively clear. It had been early, too early, when Kiara shook Rylee and JJ awake from their peaceful sleep in the hammock. Rylee had no idea how they had managed to sleep there all night, but lulled by the sound of the ocean and the warmth they found in their embrace had kept them perfectly comfortable. They had loaded up Heyward's trawler boat with the ROV and plenty of water, ("No beer. We need all our faculties for this," Pope had scolded JJ when he reached for a 6-pack) and had set off around 7:30 AM.

JJ was steering the boat out to the location of the coordinates that Big John had provided, and Pope and John B were both lingering nervously around the wheelhouse. Rylee sat on the floor of the bow, a book in her lap that she was staring at, but not reading. She read the first sentence on the page over and over again, but her mind was elsewhere. She had so much to be thinking about -- Barry, her mother, Topper's boat -- but her mind was only on the blonde a few feet behind her.

Her lie yesterday about distancing herself from JJ because of the touron had been convincing. JJ had completely accepted the reasoning and had expected Rylee to go back to normal. She had tried, and, in her opinion, she was doing fine. Hell, she had spent the entire night wrapped in JJ's arms and no one had noticed anything off.

"Hey," Kiara's voice interrupted Rylee's thoughts, causing her to jump, "Jesus, jumpy much?"

Rylee forced a smile, "Sorry," She racked her brain to quickly think of a cover, "I'm nervous about this. It all kind of comes down to this right?"

Another lie. They were going to continue to pile up if she couldn't shake these feelings. Sure, she really was nervous about looking for the wreck, but that wasn't what was clouding her thoughts.

Kiara took a seat beside Rylee, draping her arm around her shoulders and pulling her in tight, "Yeah," She sighed, "But it's going to be there."

Rylee nodded. They sat in silence for a few minutes, letting each other's comfort and the rocking of the boat over the waves distract them.

"So," Kiara said, breaking the silence with a bit of a sigh, "Excuse #42 didn't work."

"No!" Rylee exclaimed, slapping her thigh, "I thought that one was the best one yet."