twenty-six - getting even .

A low buzzing sound was all Rylee could hear as she sat in the backseat of the Twinkie, staring blankly at the mud caked into her shoes

A low buzzing sound was all Rylee could hear as she sat in the backseat of the Twinkie, staring blankly at the mud caked into her shoes. She was vaguely aware of the voices of her friends trying to convince JJ to stop, to turn the car around and go home, yet she could also tell that their words were falling on deaf ears. JJ had his mind set on his revenge, and nothing they had to say was going to change that.

Kiara sat beside her, her arm wrapped tight around her shoulders. She whispered softly to her, but Rylee couldn't understand what she was saying. She had no idea what was going to happen to her, what was going to happen to her friends, or her mom. Her debt to Barry had just raised by several thousand dollars as far as Barry was concerned, and she had no idea if he had any plans on acting on his threat of hurting JJ.

When the Twinkie finally rolled to a stop, Rylee looked up from her shoes and out of the window, flinching as she realized they really were at Barry's. It had been a number of days since she'd been there, yet it looked completely unchanged, the only difference being that there weren't several people loitering around the property. They were completely alone. Her eyes followed JJ as he wandered casually into the trailer home, feeling sick to her stomach the moment he disappeared from her line of sight.

"You know somebody should probably--" Kiara began to say, but John B was already one step ahead of her, pushing open the passenger side door with a small groan. He climbed out of the car and follow JJ inside.

Rylee's body began moving before her mind could even process it. She pushed herself to her feet and out of the Twinkie, Kiara and Pope's hesitant calls of her name barely registering in her head. She didn't know if talking to JJ would work, if he would even want to hear her out or listen, but she had to do something. She had to try.

Rylee walked the same path she had taken the first time she had gone to Barry's, crossing over the enclosed porch and straight into the cluttered area. JJ was nowhere to be seen, but John B was hovering in the kitchen, staring down the curtained off hallway, tension in his body. Rylee could hear JJ tearing apart the bedrooms, rummaging through items.

John B turned to look at Rylee once she entered, giving a helpless shrug of his shoulders, "JJ, what are you doing?" He called out, turning his head back in the direction JJ has disappeared from.