twenty-five - one step forward ...

TW: Violence, guns

TW: Violence, guns.

"He said it looked something like this," Kiara said, extending a crumpled sheet of paper out for Sarah and Rylee to see. A diagram of the Crain's house basement and the well was sketched out on the paper.

It was the following afternoon after the Pogues had found the gold, having spent all night deciding what to do next. The two most important tasks the Pogues had decided to tackle were paying JJ's restitution, and to venture back down into the well and bring all of the rest of the gold up in one trip. Once they had come up with the first phase of the plan, Sarah and John B had made their way back to Tannyhill. Sarah didn't have a very strict curfew, and her little sister was good at covering for her, but Ward Cameron had been keeping a closer eye on her now that John B was living with them. John B had taken a long and thorough shower before taking off, much to everyone's relief. Kiara and Pope had spent the night at the Château with Rylee and JJ.

Everyone's good moods had felt impenetrable that night. They had done the impossible, found actual buried treasure that so many people had searched for their entire lives, and it was almost theirs. 

However, JJ's good mood had started to take a dip just as John B and Sarah were getting ready to leave. He had casually ambled up to Rylee who was sitting on top of the dining room table, wrapped his arms around her and leaned in for a kiss, in full view of all of their friends. It had taken Rylee by surprise, and she had placed a hand on his chest, leaning out of his grip and pushing him away. Her eyes bounced nervously around the Pogues, and she watched Pope's eyes flicker away from them. Rylee gave JJ a look of disbelief, and whispered, "What are you doing?"

A shadow had clouded JJ's features, his lips pulling down into a deep frown. He hadn't answered, only released her and crossed the room to put distance between them. He didn't look at her or speak to her the rest of the night. Rylee had slept by herself that night for the first time in days, and her heart felt heavy in her chest. She hadn't meant to hurt JJ, to reject him, but he had taken her by surprise. They hadn't discussed telling everyone about their relationship yet. 

"So, that's 50 feet down, and they're using a 100 foot rope," Kiara continued, dragging her finger down the sketched line that represented the rope, "So I guess this little wagon will go ... Straight to the gold room," She said, causing all of the girls to giggle.