42

42

I had stayed true to my word about getting help and my friends had say with me one afternoon researching good therapists in Outer Banks, which was a kinder gesture than they realised. I finally booked an appointment which I knew was a step in the right direction, but it didn't make it any easier when the time came.

"Do you want me to come in with you, baby?" JJ asked, giving my hand a comforting squeeze as we parked up.

"Can you just walk me in, please?" I said in a small voice, my eyes wide with fear.

"What if they don't like me o-or they blame me or judge me for letting it all happen-" I rambled as the door to the building slowly approached.

"Sweetheart look at me," JJ said firmly, cupping my face in his hands so I was staring into his kind eyes.
"They're here to help you. You're going to do great, and I'll be right outside to pick you up and take you out to dinner afterwards, okay?"

"Thank you," I nodded, feeling him place a soft kiss to my forehead and letting his arms envelop me before he gave me a small shove in the direction of the door.

I took a deep breath and tried to still my shaking hands as I slowly walked inside, not knowing what to expect.

"Y/N L/N?" a kind-looking woman asked me, and I nodded in response, not wanting my voice to fail me.
"Come on in, dear."

———————————————

My therapist was called Cheryl. And she really helped. We made small talk for a bit about my life and my opinion on stuff like sports and music to get me comfortable around her, and when it was time to move onto the big stuff, I felt fine opening up.

Sometimes I had to stop to check that she wasn't judging me, but she was always so encouraging that by the end of the hour I had spilled the entire story to her - my dad, my depression, Rafe, Barry - everything.

The first session was finished before I knew it, and she hadn't had a chance to 'do her thing' yet because it was me talking all the time, but she assured me that was normal and this session was for her to take notes. I booked in another appointment for two weeks' time and hoped that she would give me more advice then.

For now she thanked me for being open, told me not to blame myself, and make sure I had support at home. My mind drifted to JJ and I had a subconscious smile on my face at the thought of him waiting outside for me.

Sure enough, the RV was in the closest parking spot and the blonde boy was already walking up to meet me. His hands went straight to my waist as he kissed me passionately but far too quickly.

"How'd it go, baby?"

"Actually really good, I think."

"I'm so proud of you."

We drove straight to The Wreck, Kie wasn't working because she was on a date with Pope, and John B has gone fishing with Sarah and her dad, so it was nice for JJ and I to be out alone.

"You know what; I think this is our first date," I mused.

"Well damn, I failed as a boyfriend then," JJ laughed.

"Don't be silly, you always do nice things for me," I scoffed,
"I just mean this is the first time we've been out alone I think."

"We should do it more often," he smiled, squeezing my hand.
"Now tell me about therapy!"