01

——

——

"You're going."

"I'm working," Emelina told her friend Kiara as she wiped the countertops that belonged to The Wreck. "How? No one is here." Kiara stated, moving her arms around to showcase the empty restaurant.

"I opted to help your parents clean up the mess that Agatha created." she clarified and tossed the rag into the sink.

"Why do you even bother working here? You have the money." Kiara questioned and took a seat in one of the chairs. "You know why. I appreciate you giving me this job, but that doesn't mean I have to oblige to every request you make!" Emelina gave her friend a look, crossing her arms.

"It's just one small party with a pony keg." Kiara reminded her, brushing away the little strands of hair on her face, "And I want you to meet my friends."

"I have met your friends. Not a big fan."

"You don't know them like I do."

"Why are you throwing a keg party anyway?" Emelina asked, shifting the conversation back to the beginning.

"We're celebrating," Kiara responded with a small grin. "Celebrating what, exactly?" she asked, intrigued. Emelina leaned her body against the countertop; her elbows propped upwards to hold her face.

Kiara stood up from her seat and walked closer to her friend. "You would know if you didn't ditch my boat invitations every time."

"Okay, okay. I'll go." Emelina gave in, throwing her hands up in defeat. She had been in the mood to go out and drink, but Kiara's pleas to build a friendship with a few annoying boys had her not wanting to oblige. However, Kiara can be pushy.

Emelina knew who Kiara's close friends were. They'd come in nearly daily to steal the leftover food made for the customers. She tried her best to avoid serving them as much as possible because there was one particular person who Emelina refused to interact with.

"I'd say thank you but, you'll only be thanking yourself. Be at the beach before the sun sets."

§

Emelina reached the boneyard beach before the Kooks flooded their way in. That was what it was like in Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth, two tribes on one island. The Kooks and the Pogues.

Kooks lived on the island's northern side, also known as Figure 8. They were raised in a wealthy background, thanks to their parents. Pogues, on the other hand, have to work hard to get a meal for the day. They live on the opposite side of the island called The Cut. There was a rivalry between the two, and there was no telling if it would ever end.