40

——

——

JJ: I need u to bail us out of class
JJ: 🌾

Emelina stared at her phone in confusion, texting him back with questions that desperately needed to be answered. The wheat symbol, however, had her darting out of the library and toward his classroom. Gold emergency?

She stood outside the open door, knocking on it to cause attention from the teacher and everyone else. "May I help you?" he asked her, tearing his gaze away from the board.

"Yeah! Kiara, Pope, and JJ are needed at the auditorium for a meeting with the, uh—" Emelina could not think of anything at the top of her head but remembered a sign she saw in the hallway, "the chess club."

She took account of how the teacher seemed unconvinced. "The chess club couldn't have called on the phone? I can't just let my students leave my classroom in the middle of teaching."

"Phones stopped working there," Emelina shrugged.

Her three friends were already on their feet and toward the door. "We can't lose again this year, Mr. Sunn!" JJ called out, sprinting out of the room.

Emelina gave the teacher an innocent smile, watching him walk over to the phone, but she was already out the door before she could figure out what his intentions were.

"The chess club already won last year, idiot," Pope said to JJ, throwing his backpack on his one shoulder. The blonde looked at him, "How was I supposed to know that?!"

"I think he's calling the hallway monitors on us," Emelina said after catching up to them. JJ nodded, slinging his arm around her shoulder and pulling her in to give her a quick peck on the cheek. "He's definitely calling them,"

Pope pulled out a brown envelope, "Thanks for getting us out. We need to figure out what this is," he said and handed it to her. Emelina observed it and saw the wheat symbol wax imprint. "How'd you get this?"

He retrieved it back from her, "This man pulled me out of class and gave it to me."

Pope rushed into the library, having the rest catch up to him. "Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked, letting go of Emelina to walk through the doors.

"I don't know," Kiara muttered.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ said out loud, causing the librarian to hush him.

Kiara took note of the librarian and whispered her next words, "Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane."

Pope stopped near a desk with a computer on it. "Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this," he said and JJ snatched the opened envelope from him. "Read it."

Kiara seated herself at the desk and looked up at JJ, whose eyes were scanning the paper, "Out loud," she told him. Emelina sat on the edge of the desk, swinging her legs and plopping her bookbag on the floor next to it.