48

——

——

"It's all my fault."

"Yeah, I can agree to that," JJ replied to Sarah and that received an eye roll from Emelina. Her neck was revealed yet again and Sarah hadn't stopped beating herself up for her brother's actions.

Wearing a turtleneck was no longer feasible since the sun continued to share its blazing heat to her skin, so she was forced to toss the sweater and slip on one of JJ's shirts.

Sarah nearly cried when she was finally caught up in last night's events. After being jumped by Rafe, she never wished for any of her friends to go through the same thing, and hearing the news only broke her heart.

Currently, she stood in the living room with a sympathetic frown on her lips, spurting out a million apologies to Emelina.

"J, shut it." Emelina glared at the blonde boy before turning to Sarah, "It's not your fault, Sarah. We can only blame Rafe."

"Okay," Sarah pouted before grabbing Emelina's hand to lure her in for a quick hug. Eventually, Sarah left to the hammock to sit with John B, leaving the other two to themselves.

They laid on the couch in silence. JJ played with her hair, scrolling through his phone as she fumbled with the button of his opened shirt. Her head rested on his half-bare chest, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat and this position alone could help her catch up on the sleep she missed.

Just as she was about to close her eyes, JJ said his first words in a while, "You don't deserve this. I should've protected you."

"It's okay."

"No, it's not okay," he replied and sat up straight. She mentally groaned for being stripped away from her comfortable spot. "I could have lost you, Emelina. I can't stop thinking about it."

"I know," she replied softly and leaned in to grant him a short kiss, "but, I'm here now... with you. How about we do something to celebrate my survival? It'll make you feel better."

His sad expression vanished when a smile came out, "I think I'm the one who's supposed to make you feel better." His fingers lightly traced over her neck, barely touching it so she wouldn't flinch. He then asked, "What do you have in mind?"

"Shotgun?"

"Which one?"

She thought about it for a moment. "Both."

JJ grinned and grabbed her hips to pull her closer to his body before stealing a kiss. "I like the way you think. Let's see if John B and Sarah want to join us."

They walked outside with two cans of beer each in their hands, ready to face the challenge of shotgunning, but were immediately turned down by their friends.

John B walked right past them into the porch without saying a word and Sarah screamed out, "No!" in answer to their proposal.

"Maybe I should go after her?" Emelina suggested and placed one of the cans on the grassy ground beneath her. JJ nodded, "Yeah, or you and I could..." He raised the beer can and wiggled his eyebrows.