31

——

——

"Who even watches cable anymore?" Emelina asked and pointed to the television that sat at the Chateau. Pope turned his head to look at the brunette, "It's not cable, it's the news." he corrected.

She looked up from her phone and realized she was not paying attention to what was displayed on the screen. "Same thing," she muttered.

"Actually, it's not—"

"I'm sorry," Kiara's voice cut Pope off.

Emelina chuckled, "That was random."

Pope muted the tv with the remote and glanced at her. "Yeah, what are you sorry about?"

Kiara got up from the couch and stood in front of her three friends. "For creating this split between us—for a month. A month is a really long time."

"It's not entirely all your fault, Kie. None of us made an effort." Emelina assured her.

JJ nodded while sitting on the floor trying to miraculously roll a joint. He looked at Kiara, "Yeah, dude, we're together now. We can cut the soppy sad shit."

Kiara shook her head, "We should at least talk about it."

"If we're here to blame then let me start off by saying I put all responsibility on these two who couldn't stop macking each other." Pope pointed to JJ and Emelina.

JJ turned his head to the side to look at him with wide eyes, "Dude!"

"Thanks, Pope." Emelina rolled her eyes, cautiously avoiding her gaze with the blonde.

"No, we're not blaming anyone," Kiara interjected and quickly scolded Pope.

JJ licked the wrapping paper of the joint while speaking, "What, are we supposed to go around in circles and talk about what we did for a month? 'Cause if that's the case, I'll take my sweet thing," JJ raised his fresh joint in the hair, "and vámonos outta here."

"That's actually not a bad idea," Kiara said.

"Okay. Off I go." JJ went to get up, but Kiara pushed him down. "JJ, stop it. You're staying right here," she told him.

Kiara sat on one of the sofas and looked at Emelina, "You go first."

"Anybody got earplugs?" JJ asked and put the joint in between his lips before flickering the lighter on it.

Emelina scoffed, "Oh, so we're back to that?"

JJ took his first hit and soon let the smoke escape his mouth. He turned his body around to face everyone and leaned his body on one hand, the other holding the joint. "We're not back to anything. I just don't wanna hear you yap about Topper."

"Do you have to smoke that in here?" Kiara waved her arms around to suppress the smoke. "What? It's not like this place doesn't already smell like weed." JJ told her.

"More like skunk," Pope said.

"Nope, that's just you," JJ replied with a playful smile on his lips.

Emelina crossed her arms. "I'm not going to talk about Topper."

Pope raised his hand as if he were in a classroom, "I think the audience would like to know why you're with him."

She flattened her lips. "I already told you."

"Regardless, I'm not hearing any of it," JJ said.

"You don't have to," Emelina said and got off of the couch and toward the outside porch. "Where are you going?" Kiara asked her.

She turned around, "Look, I'm really not in the mood for this group therapy."

"Oh, for once I can agree with you." JJ raised his pointer finger in agreement. Emelina stuck out her middle finger to him, growing tired of his attitude.

"Okay, well, that's too bad. P4L or nothing." Kiara said and Emelina sighed in defeat.

"That's a cruel thing you did there, Kie. Pulling the P4L card." JJ commented.

Emelina made her way over to the blonde on the floor and knelt in front of him in order to snatch the joint out of his hand. Before he could claim it back, she inhaled the fumes before blowing it back onto his face.

JJ quickly waved the smoke away and his face showed every expression of annoyance. Then a grin appeared on his lips, "You know, I'd prefer if you did that in my mouth."

She pushed his face to the side and eventually gave him back the joint before joining Pope on the couch again.

Instead of telling them her life story, she looked at the lamp next to her. "Are we even allowed to use power here? Wouldn't they track that?"

"I don't think they give two shits about what happens at The Cut. I think we're safe." JJ replied, inhaling the joint again.

Silence hit the living room as Pope and Kiara stare at Emelina for answers. "God! Okay, I quit The Wreck... learned how to properly play golf..." She paused for a moment. If JJ was going to be an ass to her, she might as well tick him off. "And guess who taught me?"

"Oh, let me guess." Pope pretended to think, but the look in his eyes didn't show any amusement.

"Topper. Sweet Topper. He gives me kisses and flowers—ones that weren't stolen from my neighbor's garden, by the way, and—"

"Alright, shut up! You literally said you wouldn't talk about him." JJ's voice cut her off. She shrugged, "I changed my mind."

"This clearly isn't working." Kiara inferred, watching the two very carefully.

Pope nodded. "I think we came to that conclusion before."

"Does it really matter that I'm with him?" Emelina knew that answer loud and clear. Maybe she did it out of spite, she wasn't really sure.

"Uh, yeah!" JJ answered like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "He's, like, our biggest enemy. He's probably polishing Rafe's shoes right now."

"He-He's not!" Emelina quickly defended but didn't say anything further.

JJ brushed the topic off. "Speaking of Rafe, I say we plan revenge."

"Whatever idea you got—we're not doing it," Kiara told him and he scoffed, his voice showing offense. "You didn't even hear me out."

"I think your murderer graffiti in bold red on his fence sent a pretty clear message," Pope said to Kiara, who proudly smiles in return.

"That was you?" Emelina asked with wide eyes and a similar smile to hers.

"Yup."

"That barely scared him. We gotta think big." JJ said, trying to think of ideas at the top of his head.

"As long as it doesn't involve your gun, I'm down for anything," Emelina said. Pope and Kiara agree with her in silence.

"'Kay, well that scratches just about everything off of my list," JJ informed them.

Pope sunk deeper into the couch, "We'll figure something out."

——

a/n: sorry this chapter is short it's mostly a filler but the next few chapters will be better and longer <3