07

——

——

"We need your house."

"What?" Emelina glanced up at JJ as she wiped the countertops at The Wreck. "You have Internet, don't you?" he asked and lightly tapped his fingers on the wooden surface.

She stopped doing her task and looked at him, observing a sage green cap on his messy blonde hair, his white T-shirt covering his bare skin, along with a shark tooth necklace looped around his neck. She flickered her eyes back to his, "Yeah."

"Great. Let's go." He motioned his hand toward the exit door.

"How about, Hey, Emelina. How was your shift today? Did you make good tips?" she said, tossing the rag in the bin.

"I don't give two shits. Why would I ask that?"

"Why ask about my house, then?" Emelina pursed her lips, already growing aggravated at his lack of politeness. "Better yet, why would they ask you to come here to get me?"

She knew they needed internet for the coordinates, but JJ's attitude made it harder to comply.

JJ tapped his fingers on the countertop impatiently, "Because I was closest to the door, obviously."

Emelina pretended to think. "What if I let the others into my house and lock you out?" She then smiled at the idea.

His lips turned flat. "You know, you're a real—"

Honking from outside the restaurant cut him off short and both their heads turn toward the door. They could see John B raising his hands from the front seat.

Emelina turn her attention back to the blonde, "You were saying?"

"Jesus Christ, can you clock out or whatever so we can get a move-on?"

"I beg you sit far away from me in the van." Her voice was sharp as she emptied the pockets of her waitress apron. JJ smirked to himself, "Beg? We haven't even had our first date yet."

She looked up at him, no emotion shown on her face. "Like I haven't heard that one before."

"Just hurry up."

When finished clocking out, she sat in the back, pissed off at her encounter with JJ. Thankfully, one conversation with Kiara and Pope washed those negative emotions away.

The Twinkie pulled up to Emelina's long driveway, parking in front of the white garage doors. She gulped, watching the boys' reactions to her fairly large house. "Dude, you live here?" Pope asked, stunned.

"Yes. Take your shoes off when you get in," she told them, opening the side door of the van and leaving it. They followed her to the steps of the porch that welcomed a tall detailed front door.

Stepping into the foyer room, everyone slipped out of their shoes and started gawking at the details of her home. The large set of the staircase leading up to the second floor was very present, the white crown molding sitting perfectly at the top of the wall, and the chandelier that hung from the ceiling. Everything here felt bright and airy.