58

——

——

The boys open the doors to the church Pope mentioned earlier. The Twinkie successfully removed itself from the tide and they were all able to go to the intentional destination after a very few eventful hours.

John B practically waddled into the place. A bandana was wrapped around his injured leg and thinking about the pain alone had shivers running down Emelina's back. He must have a high pain tolerance.

"Okay, you're telling me Denmark Tanny decided to hide the Cross here?" JJ asked and Emelina stuck by his side, her eyes wandering over the abandoned church.

Dead leaves were crunching beneath their feet. The smell of buildup of dust and dirt filled their noses. Nothing pleasant about being here, but finding the cross was the important thing on the list right now.

"Everybody, just spread out," Kiara said. John B stepped forward and started speaking in riddle form, "Okay, well, if I were a cross and wanted to be hidden in an old church, where would I hide?"

JJ was already getting skeptical. "Are you sure that Denmark hid the cross here, Pope? Like, are we at the right church?"

Pope stood at the alter and glanced at everyone. "It's gotta be here somewhere, guys."

"What if we have to push a secret button or, like, play, like, a... a certain chord, and then, all of a sudden, the ground beneath us reveals the catacombs or something on which we stand?" JJ hovered over the piano and then looked at the ground beneath him.

Emelina patted his shoulder from behind, "Alright, Andy, let's try to focus on the obvious clues."

Kiara shook her head at him. "It's not an escape room."

JJ quietly apologized and Emelina continued sweeping the place with her vision where a big cross might be hidden. Or was hard, given that it was not in plain sight.

"I can't see where they'd hide a giant cross in here," John B voiced out everyone's thoughts. Pope was in denial as he spoke, "No, no. There's no way he would set us up on a freaking goose chase that would lead us to a church that has nothing in it!"

"Yes, I get it. I don't know what to tell you, man."

"The clues led us here. The cross is in this church." Pope sat down on one of the long benches, disappointment stretching across his features.

John B offered him some assurance in his following words, "Pope, it'll be alright. We've had setbacks in the past, and we figured it out. We're gonna find it."

Kiara sat down next to Pope, "He's right."

"Look, we've just gotta think about this logically, alright? Where else would you hide a seven-foot cross made of gold?" John B was pacing the room, but Emelina was watching Pope point the spyglass above near the ceiling.