54

(a/n: thank you starkeylovebot for this masterpiece of jjlina's camera roll imma bawl my eyes out)

——

Emelina sat on the pullout couch, the sheets tangled around her legs as she stared out the window with music blaring in her ears. A pair of earbuds was lying around in John B's room so she opted to use them, ignoring that they were partially broken.

The clock read eleven in the morning in the empty Chateau. What struck her by surprise was when her friends entered the home. Kiara plopped a few packets on the bed, "There's everything you missed."

Emelina turned off the music from her phone and took the packets, quietly thanking her. "What are you guys doing here so early?"

"Early dismissal," Pope answered, plopping a brown paper bag on the circular dining table.

Kiara tugged Emelina's arm toward the table. "C'mon, we went to your favorite cafe. John B ate his food on the way here."

"The smell was filling up my nostrils. Was I not supposed to eat it right away?" He threw his rhetorical question while opening up his fridge to fetch a drink.

Emelina laughed, thanking everyone as she took a bite of her breakfast sandwich. Pope went on about school and for a split moment, she didn't think about JJ or his sudden disappearance. It was peaceful.

She couldn't even finish her sandwich before she announced she was going to go home and freshen up. Pope stood up from his seat, claiming he would drive her home since she walked here the previous night. She let him.

Pope took the keys to the Twinkie's from John B and they hopped right in. The ride back to her house was quiet. He said nothing to her about the whole situation and she was grateful.

They reached her house and she led him up the stairs to her bedroom. To Pope's surprise, it was messy. A complete contrast to how it normally is.

There were two empty wine bottles near the window seat. He picked one up. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah," Emelina took the bottle from his fingertips and grabbed the other one before tossing it in the trash, "I promise I won't drink like that again, okay?"

"Okay..." he replied skeptically. She sighed, grabbing some clean clothes, and entered the bathroom for her shower.

When she was done, she reentered her bedroom with her hair styled, makeup covering her dark circles, and warm clothes attached to her body.