27

——

——

With her toes digging in the sand, Emelina let out a deep breath. A red solo cup hung loosely at her fingertips, taking a few sips now and then. The waves straight ahead crashed into the land, creating a relaxing sound to her ears.

Nearby partygoers moved their bodies to the music that was blaring from one of the large speakers a Kook brought down to the beach.

Another night, another party.

A month had passed since the night the two teens went missing. Even with their losses, Outer Banks remained the same and everyone seemed to have moved on, minus the ones who were close to them.

Summertime still lingered in the air. There wasn't much time left before school started again, and Emelina was dreading going back. All she wanted to do, like in this moment, was take in the ocean scent, listen to the waves with toes deep in the sand, and never go back.

The investigation was still going on... but there wasn't enough evidence to arrest the Pogues that were involved. They told the police what Rafe had done, but that only created more tangles. Thanks to Emelina's lawyer, she got nothing but a slap to the wrist... but as for her other former friends, she had no idea what had happened to them.

Emelina wasn't able to repair her friendship with Kiara, not after she quit her job at The Wreck. She never bothered seeing Pope, knowing that he would side with Kiara no matter what. And JJ... the thought of him made her heart clench. The Pogues were broken, and she had no desire to fix it.

A presence came from behind her body, wrapping their arms around her waist. They rest their chin on her shoulder, "You okay?"

"Mmh," Emelina nodded, smiling to herself. She turned her body around to get a glimpse at the boy. "How's the party?"

"It's good. Kelce brought some more drinks. Want some?" Topper asked and she nodded. He brought his lips to her cheek to kiss her goodbye before stumbling away back into the party.

Topper Thornton. The boy she swore she'd never get back together with. It was the heat of the moment when neither of them had anyone to turn to. They only had themselves.

Emelina thought of it as a distraction. If he occupies her brain, she wouldn't have to think about John B or Sarah... or even her old friends. That's all it was, a distraction.

Slipping her flip flops back on, she walked away from her spot and started to wander around to see who was at the party.

"God, he's such a dick." A girl said next to her friend as they scatter away from the boy she was talking about. "Yeah, a hot one." her friend replied.