56

——

——

The ride over to Angel Oak wasn't a long one, but it sure did feel that way to Emelina. She was the last to enter the van, leaving one empty spot next to JJ in the back. She could see Pope and Sarah trying to hide their smiles.

She kept her distance by a few inches—not that she liked the idea. It was a complete contrast to her head on his shoulder while his arm wrapped around her waist, fingers slithering underneath her clothes to get a touch of her skin. She missed it.

Pope continued to read from the diary out loud and Emelina listened intensely until JJ picked up her bandaged hand and after that, all she heard was her rapid heartbeat in her ears.

His voice was low and soft when he asked, "What happened?"

"I fell and cut my hand on glass," she answered and let him inspect her hand even though a part of her was telling her to take it back. "What about you?"

His knuckles on both hands were bruised and had a few scabs. He exhaled an airy chuckle, "Decided to add a few more holes in my room, 'tis all."

He released her hand and she suddenly felt cold from the loss of contact and his words. She gulped, "You went home?" The word felt foreign when thinking about the location.

A nonchalant nod was sent her way. "Had nowhere else to go."

She frowned the second those words hit her ears and couldn't help but feel guilty. The entire predicament was not her fault, and she knew that but she also knew JJ only had a few places he felt most comfortable in. And hearing that his childhood home was his only option made the clench around her heart tighter.

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in..." John B's voice broke her out of her thoughts and had her looking through the front windshield. The water was beginning to flood the already muddy road, bringing the van to a halt before the wheels could touch it.

Pope leaned forward from the passenger side seat and pointed his finger toward the road, "Hey, wait a second. Look. They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go."

"Mmm," JJ looked at John B, who turned around to face them all, and asked, "what do think, chief?"

John B looked back to the front. "I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement," JJ replied and leaned back onto his seat and Emelina could feel the sleeve of his jacket touching her. It made her heart leap out of her chest.

"Okay, clearly, they made it. No?" Kiara asked. JJ shook his head in response, "In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that."

Sarah snickered from the back. "Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways? Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

"That is true," Emelina nodded and with one look that JJ and John B shared, they agreed to take the risk. "She's got a point."

"Speed is your friend here, okay?" JJ said, placing his hand on John B's seat that was directly in front of him, and he began to guide the driver with his words. "So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother."