08

——

——

The hot air coated her sun-kissed skin as she let her body soak up the UV rays. A book was in her hands, courtesy of Pope, and waited for her four friends to retrieve from the ocean.

Only one, although she wasn't sure if they were even friends, made his way over to the spot where all their belongings lay. She tried her best to ignore him, keeping her eyes locked on the paper of words, but it was hard when he hollered her name.

"Yo, Em! Kie's calling for you. You sure you don't wanna surf with us?" JJ asked, walking up closer to her beach towel that she sat on.

Emelina looked at him through her sunglasses, "You almost sound like you want me to come."

He rolled his eyes, pushing back his wet blonde hair, "Are you in or not?"

"Can't," Emelina raised the book in hand, "I have to report back to Pope about chapter six pronto. I'm sure the waves won't miss me."

JJ groaned. "Dude, the wrong Pogue is rubbing off on you. You know you don't actually have to read that... unless you're avoiding surfing."

"I'm not avoiding surfing!" she exclaimed immediately and closed her book. She was lying, of course, because even after living in the Outer Banks all her life, she learned that her feet and a surfboard don't mix well together.

On their way to the beach, John B was in her ear informing her that JJ was one of the best surfers he knows—but told her to not spread the word in case the blonde heard and let it inflate his ego. So, she figured reading would prevent her from humiliating herself when all is revealed that she cannot balance herself on a board.

"Look, I'm pale and it's best if I lay here and risk the possibilities of getting wrinkles at age twenty-five," she told him, humor lingering in her voice.

JJ shrugged but the look on his face implied he wasn't convinced. She hoped he wouldn't pressure her. "Gotcha. Suit yourself but isn't that what sunscreen is supposed to prevent?" he asked.

"Shit, I have to reapply," Emelina dug her hand into her tote bag and pulled out the sunscreen, "Mind putting it on my back?"

She knew he wouldn't want to, which is exactly why she asked. He obliged, to her surprise, and dropped his surfboard to the sand before telling her to turn around.

Emelina hesitantly gave him the bottle and did as he told, moving her dark hair away from her back. She expected him to decline and run back to the ocean with the others.

It felt weird for him to do something nice for her. It left her speechless and almost missed him asking, "What's the real reason you don't wanna surf? Is it 'cause you don't know how?"

"No," she answered and closed her eyes when she felt his cool hand touch her hot skin. "I just don't have a board, that's all."

"Excuses. You could rent one at the shop. I know money's not tight. So, am I right? You don't know how?" he inquired from behind. In all honesty, she couldn't even think let alone speak with his hands roaming on her back.