13

——

——

"John B," Emelina widened her smile when he entered The Wreck. Her arms wrapped around his body, being mindful of his new cast, and squeezed him tight, "I was worried."

"I'll be all right." he smiled down at her when they pulled away. She went back to wiping the countertops as usual and listened to John B's rant about the hospital.

As he was explaining his story, her mind traveled to one particular boy. She hadn't had the chance to speak to him alone yet because she had a lot to say and she needed to set things straight. JJ was treating her as normal, minus the usual jabs at her, and she was thankful it wasn't weird.

"I'm sorry. You're staying where?" Kie's voice perked up and Emelina stopped her task to fully listen to the conversation. She threw the rag in one of the bins and made her way over to the table to join JJ and Pope.

JJ poked her sides and she jumped, pushing him away with a subconscious squeal. "Stop it," she said and pulled out a chair to sit in it.

"Tannyhill." John B replied while leaning on the countertop Emelina just wiped. Kiara stood beside him and grabbed some cups filled with a beverage, "So you're living with Sarah Cameron."

"Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right? And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where I was about to go if Ward didn't—"

Kiara emptied the tray that contained the cups right on the table as John B made his way over there. "Okay, so like do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope cut in, leaning his head back with the help of his hands.

"I don't know, Pope." John B answered and took a seat next to Emelina. "What about those golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?" JJ asked, taking a sip of his drink.

Emelina could feel his presence behind her and it was making her nervous. She needed to talk to him, badly.

"Does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one of those on your own?" Pope asked and Emelina stifled out a laugh at their bombarded questions.

"Look, you promise. You said you weren't with her." Kiara looked down at John B and he shrugged. "Bro, just own it. She got you." JJ commented.

"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah." Kiara told him.

"Do you guys see her here?" John B asked them all and they shook their heads. "No, right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic... We've got the map, right?"