5

CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Lexie always wondered what happens when you die, she likes to believe that there is a place were the souls rest, to one day she can see her father again, to be reunited. She wishes she could help John B with his father, although hers has been gone for two weeks. His has been gone for months, and he didn't have closure, he doesn't know the truth. and the saddest part, is the grief, the pain and heartbreak, but you have to leave the denial stage to be able to grieve and mourn. that was what John B struggled with.

- - -

The group crowded around the table as he played with a compass he found on the boat, running his fingers over it. John B's face when he realised that it belonged to his father intrigued him, his face relight up with hope, belief, that he his father was still out there somewhere, and they all knew he wasn't going to stop until he found him.

Pope left once they got back to John B's, his father had jobs for him, and for Kiara, well the same but she was a bit shaken up after the whole being shot at thing. So tonight it was John B, JJ and Lexie.

Lexie opened his cupboards and saw mouldy bread and stale pizza. the boys were out the back dealing with the chickens, So she wrote a note:

Hey boys,

running to the shops to get some food and beer

be back soon

Lexie x

Lexie only knew them for a couple days and usually it would take a while for her to open up but it was different with this group,

Lexie was gone for 10 minutes. One thing Lexie and her father alway did was cook, She decided to make spaghetti, as she was tired and it was a easy dish but one she loved.

"woah smells good in here" John B looked in awe walking through the door, "i'll use any excuse to cook" he raised his eyebrows at her, as Lexie  finished and dished up the food, giving it to the boys.

"you like cooking?" JJ asked, almost not believing the girl, "Me and dad used to do it all the time together, apparently i'm not even allowed to make myself toast at my mothers place because, 'we have maids for a reason' " Lexie said mocking her, earning a laugh from John B and a small smile and head shake from JJ.

JJ looked her dead in her eye, maintaining eye contact, "should i trust you?" joking around for once.

"oh you, definitely not, i put rat poison in yours, but John B yours is all clear mate" Lexie smiled at them. JJ shook his head and licked the inside of his lip. he ate it.

- - -

It was 1:30am and Lexie couldn't sleep, the boys were passed out in the other room, so Lexie picked up her guitar and walked out to lay on the hammock, she let her fingers freely and lightly strum until they decided to play something.

Lexie started playing the tune of  'More Than Words', written by Anz Works, her dad played this songs when she was in hospital after her mother left. As she was strumming, starting to hum to the tunes into the small singing of lyrics.

"Saying "I love you"... Is not the words I want to hear from you... It's not that I want you... Not to say, but if you only knew... How easy... It would be to show me how you feel...More than words... Is all you have to do to make it real... Then you wouldn't have to say...That you love me...'Cause I'd already know"

Lexie continued strumming a little more till the point where she stopped, Lexie put the guitar down next to herself, tears left her eyes as she thought of her father, "nice singing, i thought you would've sounded like robot"

Lexie quickly wiped her tears and spun around to see JJ, in shorts and just a shirt, which was unbuttoned, the moonlight showing the features of his face and muscles. He had one hard resting above his head on the door. Lexie felt a pulse in her chest, if she didn't hate him so much she would think he was hot.

"what are you doing awake?" Lexie finally answered him. "heard something outside, wanted to check it out" he responded, Lexie grabbed her guitar, not wanting his presence, trying to walk back to bed, as she went to walk past him he held out his hand stopping her,  "what JJ?" Lexie said plainly

"you should audition for the local band, they haven't played in weeks cause their lead singer, also a guitarist left the island, perfect fit for you. oh and you'll be paid for it too cause you do gigs and everything." He just looked at me, expressionless but inviting face. " I swear if your joking around right now, i'm going to hunt you down and cook you for dinner" Lexie said plainly back.

he held up his hands in defense, "just putting it out there" some reason Lexie believed him, "okay - uh - thanks JJ" she smiled at him and for the first time he smiled at her, begun to head back to bed, "oh and one more thing Styles" Lexie turned back around to face him, "why do you hate me" he said.

Lexie couldn't help but chuckle, "seriously? you've been a cunt to me since the day we met, why do you hate me? wait, let me guess, cause i live in a Kook's house?" He smiled and put his head down. "don't take anything i say to personally now Styles" he started to joke around taking a step closer to her "your different that's why i make fun of you" Lexie tried not to smile, nodding her head and went to bed, "i still hate you" she smiled at him, "and i'll always hate you" He smiled back at her.

As Lexie feel into the bed, she had the thought of JJ on my mind, she didn't like him at all, he is dick first off and will do anything for a root, he is reckless and small minded, they have nothing in common, except surfing. She swears always hate him, but right, it's a little less hate, and a bit more understanding.

- - -

The next morning Lexie walked out and the boys were talking, "Ah there she is, sleeping bitch" Lexie smiled sarcastically at JJ as she walked down. The morning was fresh, it had a nice breeze and no clouds in the sky, "i thought it supposed to rain today?" She asked, "maybe not till later" John B said.

"I'm going to speak to Lana, you guys coming?" JJ nodded and pat his pack, he jumped right into the van. "whos Lana" Lexie asked, "god you ask so many questions" JJ said so Lexie slapped the back of his head. "Scooter Grubs, he own the grady white, he knew my dad, Lana is his wife and i want answers to why Scooter had my fathers compass". John B stated.

"what are the plans after this mate?" JJ asked.

"god you ask so many questions" Lexie said mocking JJ, he turned his head and eyed her off. "i dunno,drinks at mine most likely" John B said. While he said that Lexie remembered what JJ said last night about the band. "hey uh- after this i think i'm gonna run into town for a bit" she said.

"why?" John B asked, "well i heard there a band looking for a new singer and guitarist so i thought may as well audition"

"actually! no way! you'll kill it, they'd be stupid not to hire you!" John B said happily, Lexie saw JJ looking at her through the rearview mirror,  smiling, it annoyed her that he was happy, he new it was his idea. but she didn't fuss to much on it.

They travelled for another 5 minutes to coming to a stop, Lexie leaned over the seat to look out the front window with the boys. "have you seen that car before?" JJ asked, "nah" John B responded.

"why would have visitors? She's mourning the death of her husband." John B stated, "i dunno, maybe they are asking her about a compass" Lexie said in return, this time JJ chuckled and John B shook his head, "fair point, lets sneak around, see if we can see anything" John B said.

"man i don't think this is a good idea, i'm getting off vibes" JJ said, as they crouched under on of her windows, "when have you ever backed down from something with off vibes? huh?" there was a silence of us three, "i need to know why" he stated before we moved on.

It pained Lexie to admit but she had the same feeling with JJ, something wasn't right.