34

CHARLESTON

"my parents are so paranoid of me being a pogue like it's the worse thing that could ever happen" Kie whines sitting on the back of car watching the waves from the ferry. "thats what happen when you have kook parents Kie" Lexie smiled at her, trying to comfort her. 

"Hey, i hear they got good weed at boarding school though" JJ said in his attempt to comfort the girl, whilst rolling a joint.

"i'm not going to boarding school" Kiara said quickly in defence. "they are going to have to kidnap me, tie me up and throw me in a van" she continued on. 

"well i say, we just crumble some herb right now" JJ said passing the weed to Kiara and sitting down next to Lexie. 

"hey Kie, have you tried to hit John B on that number yet?" Pope asked her.

"like 20 millions times" she shrugged before placing herself down to lay down, resting her head on Lexie's lap. "thats quite a few times" JJ mumbled.  

"some random lady at a hotel keeps answering" Kiara said, "what if they used her phone to contact us, maybe thats where they are staying?" Lexie questioned. 

"thats defiantly a possibility but until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name" Pope said. "right now this letter is our best bet"

"right lets stay on task" JJ said nodding his head, placing his arms out to lay across the side of the car and Lexie's shoulder. 

Kiara past Lexie the joint for her to inhale it, letting the drug soak her lungs and circulate around before leaving in the same manner. Lexie didn't smoke often but recently she has often, it has been the only thing that brings her down to earth and to calm down. 

Lexie held to the joint out towards Pope, "What Pope are you going to be today?" Kiara asked from her lap watching the boy. He stared at the joint before looking away, also avoiding Kie's gaze, "I'm good, i'm going to try and focus" he said as his excuse. 

"good Pope, boring pope" she mumbled, Lexie and JJ shared a weird look as they were asking 'wth is going on?'

JJ wiggled his fingers, "i'll take it that" Lexie smiled at him and passed him the joint, he smiled at her placing a kiss on her forehead and inhaled the joint. 

Pope stood on the outside of the car while the three pogues were saying nonsense like, "catch a fish, sit or roll over" giggling at each other. 

- - - 

The group finally reached land, all squished in again, "guys i've read this thing a thousand times and it makes no sense" Lexie said before passing the letter to Kiara, "i mean the Limbrey' s own like, half of Charleston" Kiara said. 

"what are the kook kings of Charleston know about a murder on Kildare Island?" Lexie questioned again, not liking the idea of this, of Pope going alone specifically.  

"why you specifically? that's the other creepy thing" JJ said, "i don't like the idea of you going alone p" Lexie said looking a the boy. 

"please come alone, that's hella sus" Kiara said. "i was thinking the same thing, i think it's because -" Pope started before the engine blew.

white smoke appeared, coming out from the bonnet, "what's that?" Kiara asked. "pull over, thats a lot of smoke, even for your dad's truck" Kiara said as more and more smoke appered. 

"pope i got sensitive lungs man!" JJ shouted, followed by the girls shouting for Pope to slow down and pull over. 

"no no no no" Pope said upset as he jumped out. "Its's gonna blow up!" Kiara said jumping out with Pope, "no its's not gonna blow up" JJ said getting out, holding out a hand for Lexie like she was a royal, "really?" Lexie questioned, giggling a the boy and his untimely goofiness.