09

Chapter Nine
Communication

Riley finally made it back to the château after her argument with Rafe and for the whole walk back to the cut all she could think about was how she got herself in this situation. Riley didn't need to be with Rafe to make herself feel good she had the best people surrounding her everyday so she decided that cutting Rafe out of her life completely would be for the greater good.

"I'm back" she sang as she walked through the front door of the château to find Iris and the pogues sitting on the sofa drinking beer.

"You're finally back you've been gone ages" Iris smiled as she got up and hugged her friend tightly.

"Yeah I know... it's a long story but how are you here" she laughed as she looked over at her older brother with a smiled plastered onto her face.

"I asked her to come over... I was way out of line earlier today and I apologize to both of you" he spoke honestly as Riley quickly pulled him into a hug.

"I've missed you" she whispered in his ear as she held onto him tightly as if her life depended on it.

"I missed you too Ry" he replied as she finally pulled herself away.

For the rest of the night the pogues finally told Riley and Iris about the gold. They had been looking for the Royal Merchant ever since her dad disappeared and in the last couple of days it began to get more intense. There was a storm a couple of weeks ago that ruined most of the cut and a boat was found submerged in the marsh, that boat belonged to Scooter Grubs. The pogues found his boat while out in the marsh the morning after the storm had passed and found a key to a motel inside of it and ever since then things have began to spiral. They all seemed pretty sure they were on the right track to finding what her father couldn't and she wasn't angry that they kept this from her in fact she was proud of them all for keeping her father's legacy alive even when she couldn't.

"Hey Ry can I talk to you for a second" JJ asked as the rest of the group began to get ready for bed.

"Yeah of course... what is it" she asked with a genuine smile stuck to her face.

"Where did you go earlier today... because when you came back you looked conflicted" he asked as she pondered over his question.

"I went for a walk to clear my head that was it"

"You can tell me... we don't lie to one another" he replied as she looked up at him cautiously.

"I had a run in with Rafe that's all... but it's sorted now and I won't be seeing him again, that's all you need to know" she answered shortly.

"Did he hurt you" he questioned while she shook her head adamantly.

"He hurt my feelings but besides that no... I'm perfectly able to stand up for myself" she slightly smiled as he reached his arm out and placed it on her shoulder reassuringly.

"I know you are... but if he comes near you again make sure I'm the first to know okay" he spoke seriously as she laughed to herself.

"I promise JJ... you'll be the first person I tell" she admitted as he smiled down at her.

Riley knew that no matter what happens her friends will always have her back but the one person she was positive would never hurt her was JJ. Since Riley first met him they've always had this instant connection, one that she'd never experienced with anyone before and at the beginning she thought it was only because of how they understood each other's family situations but now she's not quite sure anymore.