25

Chapter Twenty Five
Flatline

Once Riley found her way out of the Cameron's house her attention flew to the red and blue lights that began to blur her vision, it was then she realized the enormity of the situation they had all found themselves in. The whole town was hunting John B down and her main concern was if and when they do eventually find him what will happen, will they hand him over to the sheriff or will they want to serve justice to him themselves. The breeze was an unwelcome feeling, cold and sharp as her eyes scanned the area around her until they eventually landed on the three people she needed to speak to the most.

"Riley thank god your okay... how are you" Kiara asked as she flung the girl into an embrace.

"Everything's kinda all over the place but I'm sure it'll all work out in the end" she whispered optimistically as Kiara threw her a worried glance.

"Yeah of course it will... let's just get you home you've had a long day"

"No I want to see John B" Riley told her as she hopped up into the car.

Kiara was at a loss for word's as she tried to explain the situation in the easiest way possible without making Riley worry excessively more then she already was.

"Listen John B is fine... he's capable of looking after himself but for now you look like you could do with some rest" JJ spoke as he climbed up into the backseat beside her.

"I'm just worried about him that's all... I don't want him to think he's on his own" she muttered as he slowly grabbed hold of her hand.

"I'm fairly certain you don't have to tell him that... he knows we're all here for him and when he's ready he'll come and find us but I think for now it's best to give him some space" he explained softly.

"Fine but I'm only waiting until the morning if he hasn't found us by then we have to find him and make sure he's okay" she whispered as Pope began to drive off in the direction of the château.

"I promise that if he hasn't got in contact by the morning, we will find him" JJ reassured her while she stared up at him.

"Okay good cause I am kinda tired" she yawned as he gave her a small smile.

Sleep came quick once they returned to the château, the moment Riley's head hit her pillow she drifted off into a deep state of unconsciousness but even in her sleep she couldn't seem to escape the sound of Rafe's gun going off, the memories plagued her as they continued to play over and over while her breathing began to increase rapidly. Images of Peterkin bleeding out on the ground of the runway while they stood back and done absolutely nothing to help her continued to haunt her while she slept but the one thing that took her by surprise was that the scene began to play out differently, Rafe stood facing her as he pressed the gun directly into her chest as she began to hyperventilate and the more she tried to force herself to move the more she stayed frozen in place.

"Riley you need to wake up" JJ spoke adamantly as he grabbed her forearms tightly. With a fright Riley awoke as she tried to calm her breathing to a normal level.

"I... didn't mean to frighten you... I'm sorry I woke you up" she mumbled as he shook his head adamantly.

"You don't have to apologize to me Riley... but you can talk to me though I'm here to listen" he whispered into her ear.