32| YOUR EX

"Hey

"Hey." Joey smiled as she walked toward John B, sat by the fire. "What are you doing?"

"Not sure." he slurred slightly, clearly on the verge of being drunk. "You?"

"Pretending to be cool." she sat down across from him. "You know what's absolutely insane and so stupid about this thing?"

John B hummed as Joey pointed to the fire. "Giant fire. Teenagers filled with alcohol."

He laughed suddenly. "I didn't think about that."

"Like, we probably should have went with an igloo or something." she said honestly, sipping the beer from the cup. "But, guess it's better then a massive pool party when everyone's in the pool."

"Not even enjoyable." John B took her beer and took his own sip. "Did you see Sarah?"

"Sarah?" Joey frowned her eyebrows, following his gaze as she looked back and saw her and Topper smiling, standing close together and as if they were perfectly happy. Clearly, friends just didn't look at each other like that. Joey blinked. "No, guess I didn't."

"Like, really? Show up here with your ex?" John B gave a look of disbelief. "Really?"

"You showed up with your ex." Joey pointed a finger at herself.

"True but it's different. We're mutual friend ex's that look for gold. They're just...they're not us." he tried to explain, passing her the beer back as Joey set it down, not gonna drink after him. "So, that guy show up?"

"What guy?" Joey leaned on one of her knees.

"The one you were telling me about last night. He show up?" he rose his eyebrows, leaning on his hands behind his hips.

"Yeah." Joey exhaled with an eyeroll. "And seems to forgot I exist now that he's got his OG girl."

"Screw him." John B waved her off. "You're the OG girl."

"What?" she had to laugh his way slightly.

"My OG girl." John B nodded his head at her. "My first lady."