38| IT'S JUST NUMBERS

"I'd rather shoot myself then wear this

"I'd rather shoot myself then wear this." Joey gapped at the green dress Topper picked out when they stopped by a boutique so Joey could get out of leggings and Popes jacket.

"What? You don't like it? I thought you'd like it." he tried to reason as she turned to him with an offended look. "What about the orange?"

"The orange is worse." she gapped, turning so he could unzip it for her. "Let me remind you that I have to talk to my scholarship people."

"Maybe they like highlighters." he offered as she disappeared into the dressing room. "Try the b-"

"No!" she called in return, he stayed quiet and waiting for her. Minutes passed before the door opened. "This one is better."

Topper gave a smile at the caramel cardigan, light washed jeans, and black top. It was more her. "So, no neon dresses?"

"Not today." she hummed, fixing the cardigan in the mirror. "Jesus, I look Kooked out."

"It suits you." Topper smiled as he stood up. "Shoes."

Joey turned as he held out the black boots. "You know my shoe size?"

"Just eyed it." he explained with a shrug. "You have massive feet."

"Oh, how sweet of you to say." she gushed, taking the box from him. "Give me your shoulder."

He leaned down so she could hold his shoulder, pulling the boots on. "No way you got the right size."

"I'm good like that." the blonde explained as Joey walked in them. "Feel nice?"

"Feels nice." she agreed, checking them in the mirror. "Legs?"

"Fantastic." he hummed.

"Walk?"

"Ever better."

"Goes with the outfit?"

"Absolutely."

"Okay." Joey exhaled, grabbing his shoulders again to take them off. "Duke ready."

"Duke ready." he agreed, leaning down to take the shoes off the ground for her.

Topper looked back to make sure Joey was following, giving her a small smile as the morning sun shined down upon her newly bought clothes for the occasion. "What do you think?"

Joey stared up at Duke University with an exhale. "I think it's perfect."

"Just wait until you see the inside." he nodded for her to follow, Joey did so as he nudged her hand, seeing if she wanted to. Joey laced their hands together, walking through the campus together. "Thinking about signing up for anything aside from a dorm?"

"I don't know." she looked at him. "Are you?"

He thought about it. "Maybe water polo?"

She tried not to laugh. "W-Water polo?"