1.02.1

The Lucky Compass

𓇽

"Ma'am I've already told you. It was an accident. I was shooting a target in the woods and I dropped the gun and it went off." I told the sheriff, my feet kicking slightly under her desk. My arm rested in a sling, the pain medication still coursing through my blood.

"And it was you at the beach?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yes ma'am it was."

"Now Ms. Addison I don't know why you would lie to me about you getting shot. I get the lie to cover for your friend, but why are you covering for the person who shot you." She said placing down a pen.

"Can I go home now?" I asked, looking at her with pleading eyes.

She sighed and let her head drop. "Yeah. Come talk to me if you decide to not take the blame."

I stood up and walked out the door and out of the station to my mom's car. I got in the seat and threw my head back against the seat and closed my eyes.

"I should ground you for being so irresponsible with a gun." My mom said,

"I know." I muttered.

"So I don't know why I'm dropping you off at your friends." She said pulling out of the parking lot.

"You can't ground me after if you'd like. I'll have John b drive me home." I sighed.

"I'm just glad your alive." My mom managed to get out, almost looking like she was going to cry.

"Me too mom. I would never leave you okay? It's going to talk a lot more than a rifle to take me out." I smiled slightly at her.

She nodded and we drove in silence to John b house. I knew she wanted to yell at me, ground me, ban me from seeing my friends ever again. But she couldn't seem to even tell me she was upset. She was just glad I didn't go out like dad.

"Thanks mom." I said unbuckling. I reached my good hand around her and hugged her. She sighed and hugged back. "Stay safe."

I laughed and nodded, opening up the car door. It was honestly hard doing everything with my left arm.

I waved at her as she pulled out of the driveway and I walked up to the porch.

They weren't outside so I walked inside looking around.

"Guys?" I asked.

"In here!" Kie yelled. I walked to the back of the house and went into the room they were in. Big John's office. "Woah, I've never been here." I mumbled looking around.

"Hey how's your arm?" JJ asked. I held it up slightly. "I'm in a sling, how good do you think? What's up? What are we looking at?" I asked standing where my friends were.

"We have a death compass." Pope said to me.

"It's not a death compass." John b said, rolling his eyes.

"Look, my dad used to talk about this compartment here. Soldiers used to hide secret notes." He unscrewed the back of the compass and shook it looking for a note.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing to the lid he screwed off.

"I don't know. That wasn't there before. This is my dad's handwriting."

"How can you know that?"

"Because he does these weird Rs with the— see it?"

"Can I see it?" JJ asked, grabbing it. "Red— route— no I think that's an a."