𝗳𝗶𝗳𝘁𝘆 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

꒰ 𝗌𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗌𝗈𝗎𝗅𝗌 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:·゚

Much as the ancient Greeks believed, and Euripides wrote, 'the ocean washes away all the evil men do,' and maybe even, in Michael Prescott's case, all the evil men too

Bianca stared out at the sun setting over the horizon, casting an amber hue across the water. The view, beautiful to most, sickened her. Her father was out there, somewhere, lying between purgatory and hell.

Despite the starkness of the open ocean, everything felt duller. Grey. Lifeless. As if everything she felt inside somehow painted itself across the canvas and the artwork, like the artist, wasn't all that pretty.

Gone was the liveliness and ferocity she once was, no longer brimming with hate and resentment. Instead, a little girl sat on the lifeboat— wondering where her father went and desperate to go home.

That little girl learned the hard way that no one comes back from war unscathed. They come back as strangers. Not only to those around them but to themselves and Bianca Prescott no longer knew who she was.

She was sure the universe was playing some twisted, cruel joke on her because despite its name, even though she had created the hit list intending to hurt others, she never expected it to go far enough for someone to lose their life. Let alone her father at her hand.

Bianca swallowed thickly, her body had reduced itself to a catatonic state a while ago. She was shivering from the shock and the others tried to keep her warm but she didn't have the heart to tell them it wasn't because she was cold. Clasped between the palm of her hands was her father's wedding band she refused to let them see.

The group had been drifting in the sea for hours but to Bianca, it could've been days, months, or even years because time didn't feel real anymore. Nothing did. She was too lost in a daze, numb to the world around her that even when the Pogues spotted land ahead, she couldn't share in their excitement.

The girls sat on a nearby bank of sand, clad in their bikini tops and sports bras except for Bianca who didn't feel like removing JJ's hoodie or her bike shorts. Their clothes had already dried from the sweltering heat but now they were left sunburnt and dehydrated.

"Come on," JJ grunted from exertion, encouraging the boys who were heaving the lifeboat onto the shore.

Bianca told JJ not to strain himself, especially with his head wound but of course, he didn't listen. Other than that, however, she hadn't said much.

Bianca remained relatively silent as she, Kiara, Sarah, and Cleo leaned back under the shade of the palm trees. With the setting sun behind them, they basked in the cool breeze, a thankful contrast to the blazing heat they suffered under for the past few hours.