𝗲𝗽𝗶𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲

꒰  𝖾𝗆𝗉𝗍𝗒 𝗁𝗈𝗉𝖾𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗉𝗋𝖺𝗒𝖾𝗋𝗌  ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:·゚

"The missing teens were last seen on the night of September 27th on the road leading out to the point

"The missing teens were last seen on the night of September 27th on the road leading out to the point. No foul play is expected at this time. We've set up a hotline. If you have any information, leading to their whereabouts, please give us a call."

Bullshit.

Lydia Prescott scoffed, she knew the headlines were nothing but that. Complete, utter bullshit.

It was no coincidence the Cameron's, her husband, and her daughter had all conveniently gone missing on the same day, that much was for certain. But it still didn't get her any closer to where they may be.

Like a wildfire, the island after the scorch lay barren and charred. The people, the ones who managed to survive relatively unscathed, grew desolate amongst other miserable souls. In the days after the disappearance, the Outer Banks looked more like a graveyard for the fallen than paradise on earth.

They all had their ways of coping. Heyward, keeping mostly to himself and working through the days with a sullen sort of look on his face. The Carrera's stapled posters around the island, even though pretty much all the locals already knew of the news. There wasn't much to say for the parents of the other two kids.

Lydia on the other hand, couldn't stand around and wait for someone to find her only daughter. She took initiative by organizing a search party and inviting the Island Club and any others who could help.

A hand clasped over Lydia's arm, causing the woman to glance over her shoulder at the uniformed man. Shoupe's golden Sheriff's badge glinted in the remnants of evening sunlight and he gave her a tight smile. It was meant to be reassuring, but a part of him knew— and her too— that all of this was pointless.

"We're going to do everything in our power to find them, Lydia," Shoupe gave the woman a single nod. Two more officers— Plumb and Thomas flanked either side of him, "I promise you that."

"I know you will, Sheriff," Lydia smiled at him, although it was the kind that never reached her eyes.

The turnout was much larger than she expected, with piles of people crowding and awaiting further instruction. Lydia glanced around at the locals, not all of them dressed in seersucker and pearl necklaces. Some were adorned with simple ripped jeans— not the purposeful kind and a pair of muddy boots.

Kooks and Pogues alike huddled together, creating soft conversation and for the first time since her daughter went missing, Lydia felt a sort of warmth fill her heart. Her lips pressed into a thin line, stifling a genuine smile.

Seeing everyone gather brought a spark of hope she assumed had been extinguished long ago. It was the first good thing that happened since the disappearance.