( fifteen. )

June watched the monitor again, trying to spot anything that looked remotely like gold.

"It's not there." John B said, sighing and running his hands through his hair.  "Look just pull the drone up."

"Look we can do another pass. Recharge the battery. We can- we can go back down." Pope said, trying to ease the situation and the blow from the gold not being there. June turned around and ran a hand over her face.

"Guys we've been through it three times there nothing there." JJ called from the cabin.

"Shut up!" Kie yelled back at him. June walked towards the edge of the boat, looking over the side as they continued to bicker.

"May-maybe we missed something." June said, pointing into the water.

"We didn't." John B answered her.

"The gold could be buried. We don't know!" Kie defended.

"If it was there it would've been found on the metal detector okay? Somebody beat us to it." June could practically feel the disappointment between the 5 of them.  She drug another hand over her face and sat down on the deck, laying out and relaxing again. The ride back was practically silent, except for  someone saying something to try and ease the situation every few minutes.

:::

June had spent most of her day out in the yard, lounging in the chairs and avoiding her parents. They had no idea of course about what Zach had said and what she had done but she had still skipped out on dinner.

She had been thinking all day but yet she had no fucking idea what was going on in any aspect of her life. Her parents were being secretive with Ward Cameron, she had no idea what was going with JJ and she hadn't even thought about midsummers until now.  She needed to know what was going on with Ward Cameron and her parents. The thought of them being secretive and acting all weird gave her the creeps and made her uneasy. They shouldn't have to hide him if there's nothing going on.

And she just assumed that thing with JJ weren't going well.  They had kissed, it was magical, and then....nothing. She couldn't tell if he was leading her on or if he just didn't know what to say but all she knew was that it was stressing her out every time they were together. She liked him a lot, she really just didn't know what to say to make him realize that she wants to talk. Alls he knew was that she liked him, she wanted to kiss him again, and she couldn't because she didn't know if he liked it too.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the man himself, strolling into her backyard.

"Well it's my lucky day." JJ said, taking in the sight of June, laid out in a bathing suit. She giggled at that, sitting up and wrapping herself in her towel. JJ made a pouty face as she did so, holding his hand out to help her up.

"What are you doing here?" She said, leading him towards the house and going through the sliding doors. She folded the towel up in her hands and threw it into the bathroom hamper, before walking back to talk to JJ.

"Well the summer movie thing is tonight and - hey woah woah woah what's that ?" JJ said, grabbing her arm and turning it over. There in the back of her arm were small bruises, presumably from where Zach had grabbed her. She didn't rethink he had grabbed her that hard.