( thirty-eight. )

June heard the whooping of the sirens, covering her ears as she awaited her fate. John B stood, helping her up as he let out a sigh.

"If we're going down at least we're going down together." June said, trying to crack a smile. Neither of them could do it. This was the end of the road for them.

"All right John B. June! It's Shoupe out here. We got the place surrounded. We don't want anymore bloodshed.  We're coming in." They both heard from outside. June and John B shared a look, before looking back towards the door.

"Oh shit." June said, turning away and looking frantically around her for an escape.

"What a misunderstanding bro. Like everyone thinks it's you guys." Topper said from the other side of the door. June's anted nothing more than to punch him in the face right now.

"We didn't do anything ." June said, continuing to frantically look around.

"Yeah you know...I gotta say I didn't expect this from you June. You were raised better. I guess who you fuck really does change you." Topper remarked from the other side of the door again.

"Hey fuck you Topper! You're just fucking mad because no one likes you an-"

"Topper!" John B said cutting June off. She ran a hand through her hair and clenched her jaw.

"What?"

"Just let us out!" John B said, jiggling the door knob frantically. Topper didn't say anything on the other side and  June pressed her head against the wall. She felt defeated while John B was starting to panic.

"Kildare County!" June heard Shoupe yell.

"Hey we're back here!" Topper called .  "Alright sir, they're right in there."  John B pulled away the washer, pulling the coil out and looking through the hole there. He sent June a look before starting to squeeze through the hole. She pushed his ass out before bending down to crawl through.

"All right guys. This is the end of the road. Put your hands on your heads. I'm coming in there." Shoupe pulled the chair away from the door, making June frantic. The door opened as June started to squeeze through. But before she could get all the way out she felt someone grab her legs. She watched as John B ran, closing her eyes in disappointment as she got pulled back into the room. She cried out as she hit her arm on the side of the washer.

"Shit!"

"Get back in here!" She heard Shoupe say. He pulled her back the rest of the way before holstering his gun as he pulled her up. Another officer came in, holding her still as she struggled against Shoupe.

"We got you. We got you." Shoupe kept repeating as he handcuffed her. June was frantic and panicking now, she had to get out. They lead her towards the door, pushing her outside as they started to yell commands to find John B. June continued to struggle against the officers as they pushed her down the steps and towards the car.

June was surprised to see the crowd that was gathered outside was yelling at her, people were screaming at her, calling her a murderer. As the police car came into view June felt her heartbeat quicken, this was it. She couldn't hear the people anymore because her heartbeat was so loud in her ears that she couldn't even focus.  She looked over everyone in the crowd, her eyes widening as they fell on one person.

Time seemed to slow as she looked into Rafes eyes, an indescribable look on his face. June could now feel her heart beating in her chest and her blood pumping through her veins. Her anger was seeping into every bone of her body. Her fight or flight kicked in finally and this time she chose fight. She fought against Shoupe, bringing her leg back to kick him in the groin. He bent over in pain and groaned, his hands letting go of her. She immediately took this as her chance. She sprinted off, her legs making her run faster than she ever had before. She was pushed snack into reality, the yells and the pounding footsteps on the pavement following her. She ran until her chest started to burn, turning her head to see who was behind her. She was being chased by what looked like the entire police department and they were gaining ground fast.

She continued to run, her adrenaline not so potent anymore and her legs starting to tire. She had no idea where she was going either. She turned her head again but this time she was shocked to see a car. There was no way she could out run a car. The car drove beside her, rolling down the passenger window. The horn started blowing as she looked into the window.

"Get in June!" She heard as the door flew open for her. She took the chance, throwing her body into the car and pulling it closed with her handcuffed hands. She looked over at Zach who was driving away from the cops, his eyes stuck to the road.

"Holy shit Zach."  June said, trying to catch her breath. Her chest was rising and falling violently as she looked around behind them at the officers who were now running to get their cars.

"What the fuck just happened?" Zach said, a shaky laugh escaping his lips.  He ran a hand through his hair as he looked over at her.

"You just aided a criminal." June laughed out, shaking her head.

"Well you know I'd do anything for you." Zach said, reaching over and grabbing her hands. They were handcuffed in front of her thankfully, making her still able to use them. June was terrified but at the same time she was enjoying the rush. "June I can't believe you kneed Shoupe in the balls!" Zach yelled. June cackled again, her smile wide as Zach took random turns. They knew who he was and they couldn't go to his house now.

"Where do we go now?" Zach asked, looking over at June. She shrugged.

"I don't know. I don't know what to do. Zach you shouldn't have done that. Now they'll want to arrest you or something." June ran a hand through her and looked over at Zach but he just shrugged.

"My dads a lawyer, I won't get in much trouble I'm sure." Zach said, waving off her worry. June nodded, trying to calm herself down.

"What's your plan June? The island is only so big." Zach asked, his eyes curious and his eyebrows furrowed.

" John B and I are going to take a boat and go back to the mainland until they can prove that Rafe did it." June clapped her hand over her mouth as she realized what she had said. Her looked over at her with wide eyes.

"Rafe shot the sheriff?"

"He did. Yes." June shook her head again as Zach processed the information. But instead of saying anything else he just sat there in thought, making June lean her head against the window. The rest of the ride was silent until he pulled up outside of an unfinished home. June looked out at it and then back at Zach.  He reached into the back seat, grabbing a blanket from their old picnics and handing it to her.

"I guess just stay here for the night. It's the only place I could think of." Zach said, sending her a small smile.

"Thanks for everything Zach. Go home and don't get into anymore trouble." June said. She reached over the middle and pressed a kiss to his cheek before opening the car door and stepping out. She waved him off and then ran towards the unfinished house.

"Home sweet home."

______

I just want y'all to know that I'm gonna  stretch the shit out of the last episode. Like a 7-10 chapter stretch okay so be prepared