prologue.

My name is Catalina Mays and this is the story of how I, along with the people closest to me in the world, became what you would call, kooks.

   And it all starts with a bell.

   Ah there it is.

   That sweet sound.

   I shoot up from my desk, my bag immediately going around my shoulder as I push my way through the crying girls hugging their friends and boys rough housing.

   The last day of school was finally here and I was free from kook academy. I didn't belong here, anyone could see it. Which might be why one would argue I have no friends.

   "Lia! Lia, wait up!"

   I pause my stride, swiftly sliding my headphones down around my neck as I turn to face the one and only kook princess. For some reason she's taken a fascination in me and of all the nicknames I have she somehow found one no one used before.

   "It's Catalina," I correct Sarah Cameron.

   She smiled her sweet smile at me, the kindness behind her eyes evident and although I know deep down she's nice her friends aren't, and I can't put up with them.

   "Right, Catalina," her smile widens, "are you coming to the party tonight?"

   "Probably not," I shrug.

   Her face falls a bit and I take this moment to ponder why she always takes the time to invite me to these things. She always makes it seem like I'm the only person here she actually likes.

   But that can't be right because she's literally the most popular girl on the island.

   "Okay well, let me know if you change your mind. I'd really love it if you came," she smiles one last Sarah Cameron smile before turning on her heel and walking over to where Topper and Kelce are waiting.

   I slip my headphones back on, cranking up the volume as I continue on my pursuit to get as far away from school as possible.

   I make it to my ford mustang fox body in about two minutes and climb in the car as quickly as I can. The windows go down and I turn up the radio, hitting the ac box until it sputters to life.

   I loosen my tie around my neck and trade in my mary jane's for my old new balance's, pulling my hair up into a ponytail.

   Am I a freshman? Yes.

   Does that mean I can't legally drive? Also yes.

   But what's the difference between a permit and a license?

   You might also be wondering why exactly I'm going to one of the most prestigious schools in America all while owning a rinky dinky mustang.

   Well kook academy here is required to give out a certain number of scholarships and year and guess who lucky recipient number one was. And so I moved here from LA with my dad. The only place we could afford was on the cut so I'm forced to drive 45 minutes to school each day.

   I pull out of my parking spot, beginning the long drive home.

   All my books and uniforms are donated and everyone knows it. Another reason I don't exactly love it here.

   We moved at the beginning of the year and it's taken me a while to adjust to the island but I'd say I know my way around here pretty well now, it's what I do in my freetime.

   I stick my hand out the window as I begin to near where the kook side of the island ends. There's laws to this place that it took me a while to learn.

   There's kooks and pogues.

   I myself identify more as a pogue.

   The kooks are the snobby rich kids who live on figure eight and the pogues are the not so rich kids who live on the cut. Our parents are working class and our homes cost as much as their kids' first car.

   I drive past the marine and the wreck, slowing as I approach Heywards. Heyward is this island legend who can get you anything you need as long as it's for the right price. He's like the entire island's dad, providing for everyone.

   He also happens to have cheap chips.

   I put my car in park and grab my wallet before climbing out of the car. I glance around warily, wondering if I should pull on my sweatshirt.

   My problem is I don't really fit in anywhere.

   The kooks hate me because I can't afford to go to the Bahamas thrice a year. I don't have hobbies like golf and jet skiing and I don't even think I've ever had a macaroon.

   The pogues on the other hand don't accept me because I'm "half kook". Even though I live on the cut and work just like them I get to experience school on figure eight. Field trips out of state and school pep rallies.

   I really hate it here.

   The island is beautiful and I love the ocean but at some point you just get tired of being alone all the damn time. Maybe summer will change that.

   The door dings as I walk through it. The ac is loud and blows heavy on me as I enter, one of the lights inside flickering.

   I make my way through the aisles of the store, grabbing a gatorade and a bag of salt and vinegar chips. I stop as I pass the alcohol section.

   Drinking alone is lonely, sure, but it's something to do.

   I grab a can and make my way to the front of the shop, praying Heyward isn't the one at the counter. And to my luck, it's not, instead it's his son, Pope.

   I've seen him around before, the kooks love to talk about him and his friends. They're definitely the most infamous teenagers around here, with all the trouble they get into.

   But they do have fun, I'll give them credit for that.

   He looks up, a grin spreading across his face, "hey Talia."