thirty seven.

"Oh my gosh thank you so much, I owe you."

Topper grins, "it's no problem really, I grew out of these last year."

I slide Topper's old button up on over my tank. It's a tad too big but it's better than getting dress coded. Next I put on what I think is one of his mom's old skirts. Pretty modest but once again, better than getting dress coded.

"Alright, we should go before we're late."

I nod, following Topper out of his front door as he hands me a bagel and mug of coffee. I give him a smile of appreciation as I climb into the passenger seat of his jeep.

Topper starts the car's engine, music taking over its stereo's as we begin the short drive to school from his house.

"You think you'll get in trouble for your absences?" He makes conversation.

I swallow my bite of bagel, "nah, my dad covered for me. Anyone asks, I had the flu."

Topper chuckles before clearing his throat, "um so where were you last night? Sarah told me she needed a place to crash and I thought she'd been sleeping at yours-"

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"Holy shit, I'm so sorry. I went to see JJ last night and I completely passed out so I just slept there. Thank you for letting her stay with you," I ramble.

"It's no problem really."

I smile.

Topper's really a different person.

We pull into the school's parking lot and park, the radio clicking off. I'm about to get out of the car when I hear Topper start his sentence then stop again.

I turn to him, "hm?"

"I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the bonfire tonight with me? I think it'd be good to have a little normalcy," his face flushes.

My smile fades but I immediately replace it with a fake one, "um, I just-"

Topper senses my hesitation, "not like a date or anything! Sarah would be with us too, I just think it would be good for you guys."

I nod, "sounds great, I'll see you guys there."

Topper grins, "gre- great!"

I smile, "we should get to class."

* * *

After listening to Pope stress about this cross for the past fifteen minutes there's only one thing I can say, "we absolutely need to go to this bonfire."

JJ grins, "she's right. You know what helps me figure shit out?"

John B rolls his eyes, "here we go."

"Smoking beers and drinking weed."

Jesus Christ.

"The ideas just pour outta me," JJ draws out his words, "if we sit here and try to figure this out, we're gonna get nowhere. But if we get creative and go to this bonfire tonight. Maybe we get somewhere."

Kie shrugs, "well I just got disowned by my parents and I am an official member of the I have nothing to lose club."

I smile, "Pope?"

"We're so close."

"Look, look," JJ sits in front of him, "think about how much you could think, if you just gave your brain a rest."