forty five.

"There she is."

   JJ pulls the cover off of the cross, his face lighting up. He looks up at me, "we might finally it on that road trip with your dad huh?"

   My mind flashes back to the night he bought the hot tub and I flush, "I didn't know you were awake!"

   He grins, "let's get this out of here."

   Just then the roof opens, Pope standing above us.

   I can't help but grin, we're finally fighting back.

   "The time where people do shit to us and we just sit back and take it is over," Pope shouts, "let's get this fucking cross!"

   "That's what I'm talking about!" JJ hollers.

   I grab the rope, "let's tie it up."

   JJ nods excitedly and we get to work. After a few minutes of struggling the cross is somewhat securely tied up and connected to the crane's end.

   "Take her up, Pope!"

   "Slow! Slowly!"

   "Take her to the middle!"

   Pope ignores our instructions and swings the cross at JJ, the boy dropping to the ground to avoid death by head damage.

   "Your other middle!" I shout.

   "Sorry!"

   Pope pulls the cross up into the sunlight and I turn to JJ with a grin, "I'm gonna go help John B get the lifeboat, okay?'

   He grins, "we're finally doing it, we're finally getting a win."

   "Hell yes, we are."

   It takes a while for me to navigate my way around the ship but I make it to the second level deck. I hear a voice around the corner and stop. Everyone except for my friends, Sarah, and Ward are locked in the hull.

   I reach my hand into the back of my pants and around the handle of the gun. Slowly stepping around the corner I pull it out, tightening my hold on the weapon.

   My eyes widen upon the sight of Ward with his hands wrapped around Sarah's neck. God what is wrong with this family?

   "Ward! Let her go!"

   Ward slowly turns to me, his eyes wide. Upon the sight of my gun he releases Sarah, raising his hands into the air beside his head.

   Sarah drops to the ground, gasping for air as she crawls over to me. I step in between the two, sliding my finger onto the trigger.

   "Why aren't you dead?" A tear slips from my eyes, "why couldn't you just die?"

   Ward's hands shake, "Lia, Lia honey. I-I know our relationship had been complicated but- you wouldn't kill your dad-"

   "You mean like how you weren't just about to kill your daughter?"

   "I had no other choice!"

   "There's always a choice!" I cry, "Is that what you said? You had no other choice but to give me away and let me live in foster care for years?"

   My finger twitches.

   Ward takes a step towards me and I feel myself freeze, "I've regretted that decision every moment of my life since then. There's nothing I've wanted more than for you to come back to me."

   Tears roll down my face.

   He's lying. I know he's lying.

   Ward grabs the end of my gun, slowly taking it from my hands and my arms drop to my sides as he wraps his hands around my face.