thirty three.

I sit in silence.

   "-death penalty."

   A tear rolls down my face as I feel someone grab my hand and pull me out of the room we were in. We flood out onto the sidewalk and I cling to whoever's hand it is that grabbed mine.

   My best friend was given the death penalty.

   Another tear slides down my cheek.

   "Can you please shut up?"

   I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Kiara's voice. She's yelling at Ward. She's yelling at my father. The same person who just ruined my best friend's life.

   "Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you!" she shouts.

   People stare and circle us as his lawyer interrupts, "he'll have his day in court. The jury will decide."

   "He shouldn't even be in court!" Kie yells, "you should, cause you're a murderer! You have a lot of nerve- showing up too court?"

   "I know you're upset, I understand you're upset-"

   "Upset? No, I'm not just upset!"

   Kiara charges forward and police are immediately in front of us to stop her. Everyone's yelling now and my ears are ringing.

   "It's not a coincidence your daughters are sitting with us!"

   People quiet at the word daughters, plural.

   I duck my head low.

   Shit.

* * *

   "Are you sure?"

   I nod, slinging my bag around my shoulder, "yeah- I'm okay I just," I blink back my tears, "I really just need to talk to my dad. I haven't seen him in like four days."

   I turn to leave again only to be stopped by Kie. She rests a hand on my shoulder, "I'm sorry I let the daughter thing slip I didn't mean to-"

   "Kie," I smile, "it's okay."

   I look to the driver's seat where John B should be seated instead finding Pope. He smiles at me, "I'll text you the details of whatever plan we came up with."

   "Thanks," I turn, walking towards my porch.

   I hear the stomping of boots on my wooden porch and pause, my hand hovering above the doorknob. I let my hand drop to my side, "JJ I'm fine, really."

   I turn to find JJ inches away from me, his eyes immediately connecting with mine. He's really close. Like really close. I press my back to the door, "JJ?"

   He clenches and unclenches his fist, "we're gonna get him back Cat."

   I nod, "I know, I know J."

   "You wanna come with me? We can take a nap, we both need one." I offer. It sounds like he needs to be comforted more than I do.

   "No, I'm gonna go help figure out how to free John B," He smiles, "enjoy your nap though."

   Somehow this boy always manages to bring a smile out of me, "I will."

   JJ seems to hesitate before quickly leaning towards me, pressing his lips to my cheek. My eyes widen, my hand flying to my face.

   JJ grins, "see ya Cat!"

   He runs away, leaving me standing alone with my hand pressed to my cheek. I can't help the color that rushes to my face. JJ is such a weirdo.