twenty four.

"Where is he?!"

   "He'll be here."

   I look up as a cop car pulls into the dock.

   "Everyone back on the boat! Kie untie that!"

   Before we can get moving John B climbs out of the driver's seat.

   "No way."

   "No effing way!"

   "You've gotta be kidding me!"

   Kie pulls the boy into the hug and I follow her lead. Unlike me he's gotten a chance to clean up and get new clothes. He almost looks like he did before any of this shit happened.

   "It wasn't easy bro, but I got the phantom for you. And she runs like she was made yesterday," JJ brags, tossing John B the keys.

   "Where's Sarah?"

   My eyes widen, "she's not with you?"

   "No we got separated in the swamp, she said she was gonna meet me here!"

   "We haven't seen her-"

   "I'm not leaving without her."

   JJ jumps down from the boat, "John b, look at me man. I know you feel bad for leaving but there's no time. You've got plenty of gas, you've got plenty of food. Once you get around that point it's a straight shot across the sound to dismal swamp. Once you get there, lay low, hangout for a couple of weeks, then go overland, cross the border at brownsville. Got it?"

   John B no longer looks like he's listening, looking out at the marsh.

   It reminds me of the day of his dad's funeral.

   If only we'd known then.

   "John B! You got that?"

   "Yeah, yeah brownsville."

   He climbs onto the boat before turning to face us, "I'm sorry for basically throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing," his voice cracks.

   "John B," JJ hooks an arm over my shoulder, "we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?"

   JJ uses his other arm to grab Pope and I grab Kiara's hand with my own, "at least we did it together though."

   "Pogue style."

   "Get out of here, now please!" I urge.

   "See you in two months, down in mexico."

   John B takes his place behind the wheel, looking up for my eyes one last time, "tell Sarah I said goodbye okay?"

   I nod, "remember, brownsville."

   He nods, starting up the boat.

   I watch as he pulls away, my heart sinking.

   This was the end of Pogue life, nothing was going to be the same.

   At the sound of sirens I run my hands through my hair, my headache coming back. I take a step off the dock with JJ, the boy tapping me. I turn to see Kie and Pope kissing.

   My eyes widen, the sirens getting louder, "is that-"

   "Guys we gotta go! Right now!"

   Before we can make it anywhere the cops pull up, my hands immediately going into the air. They all flood out of their cars and towards us.

   "We're too late, he's gone! Goddamn it!" Shoupe pulls off his sunglasses, making his way over to us, "Bratcher, have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids."

   He stops at Pope first, "alright where the hell is he?!"

   He shifts his gaze, "JJ I see you're living up to your name. Pope how bout you? This isn't a fucking game!"

   If this was a game, (a fucked up one at that) we were the ones being played.

* * *

   "Keep an eye on these kids."

   Shoupe walks away from us and I sigh, leaning my head onto JJ's shoulder. The storm had gotten bad and every officer in the obx was out looking for John B.

   The noises were flooding my brain, making it hard to think.

  JJ sets a hand on my knee, "they're okay. They're gonna be okay."

  I squeeze my eyes shut.

   Why?

   It repeats in my head over and over.

   Why did we always lose?

   Ten minutes later Shoupe comes into our tent with two other officers. We all stand to greet him as he pulls off his hood, revealing his solemn face.

   "Did you find him?"

   He grimaces, "no."

   Kie smiles, "so they got away."

   Shoupe shakes his head, "we lost them, I'm sorry."

   I frown, "what're you talking about?! You lost them?! You drove them into the storm!"

   "They took an open boat into a tropical depression."

   "So they're dead?"

    Shoupe shakes his head again, "we don't know."

   I press my fingers to my temples as I kneel to the ground, my mind racing. This isn't possible, this can't be possible.

   JJ charges towards Shoupe, "this is all your fault! You drove them there! You killed him!"

   Even though I thought I'd be out, tears come pouring from my eyes for probably the twentieth time in the past 48 hours.

    John B can't be dead.

   It isn't posisble.

   I feel arms wrap around me and look up to see my dad, his face coated in worry. He pulls me to my feet and into a hug that I've needed ever since the week started. JJ joins our hug and we all stand still.

   "He's gone," I sob into his shoulder.

   We pull away and my dad holds both of us, "it isn't your fault you hear me?"

   I shake my head, this can't be happening.