thirty eight.

"You have to rotate it slowly to get the right amount of crispiness."

JJ laughs, his arm on the back of my chair as I pull my marshmallow from the fire, perfectly golden brown. So much for putting space between us.

It's been an hour and it's like nothing ever happened.

Maybe it's better that way.

I smoosh my marshmallow between two pieces of chocolate, "the gram crackers take away from the gooey-ness of it," I explain when JJ looks at me weird.

He grins, "can I try?"

My face drops, "JJ-"

He bites it out of my hand.

"JJ!" I whine, looking at the remnants of my perfect creation.

"You were going on about how great it is, I needed to see for myself!"

"I could've made you one!"

"Guys!"

I zip my mouth as I turn to look at John B, the boy looking off towards the chicken coops. I frown, please tell me this night isn't getting any worse.

"Somebody's here."

Kie places down her stick, "you don't think that Topper would-"

I shake my head, "he wouldn't."

I feel JJ's eyes on me, "I wouldn't put it past him."

Kie stands, "do you have your gun?"

JJ scoffs, standing as well, "now she wants the gun!"

"Now you don't have the gun?"

I sigh, "wasn't that your "secret" weapon?"

Pope shushes all of us, waving us to follow after John B. I feel JJ's hand on my back as I tiptoe in front of him.

"Hey whoever's here, come out!"

"You kooks better not try anything!"

Miss Limbrey's minion emerges from behind the coop, "how y'all doing?"

"You've gotta be kidding me."

He grins, "lovely evening we're having. Look uh, I don't hold a grudge with any of y'all but this can go hard, or it can go easy."

He stops, only a foot or two away from us, "you know what I'm here for."

Now he points at me, "let me give a demonstration, what a lovely beer crown you have on there darling."

I resist the urge to pull off the ridiculous fucking crown JJ and John b made me.

"I got the best bow hunters in the army rangers with me."

JJ hums, "yeah okay-"

Just then the crown is blown off my head. I freeze as the rest of my friends turn to me, amazed and horrified at what just happened.

"Now we might have to move a little lower to actually get some action outta you," he smiles, "they're out there. Waiting for my signal."

JJ tightens his grip on the long piece of metal he's holding, taking a step forward.

Just then an arrow whizzes by my ear. I feel a second of pain before something warm dribbles down my lobe.

JJ's eyes widen as my heart races.

The man turns to me, "if I remember correctly you're the one that called me a racist psycho correct? Name calling isn't cute."

He grins, "it only takes one to send a message. Give me the key."