forty seven.

At the sound of crunching sand I peel open my eyes, blinking to allow them to adjust to the light. I see Pope walking away towards the water and slowly sit up, "Pope?"

   "Plane," He turns to me, "Cat! It's a plane!"

   My eyes widen, it's not possible.

   I slap JJ, scrambling to stand, "guys! JJ! It's a plane!"

   I take off down the beach after Pope, stumbling over my half asleep legs. I follow him up through the rocks and to the grassy hill where we built our smoke signal.

   Pope kneels, pulling out his lighter, "please! Please light!"

   "Let me try," I grab the lighter from him, shaking it before lighting it again. I set the branches aflame, watching as the fire grows.

   I grin, stepping back, "we're over here!"

   Pope jumps and waves his arms around, "we're here! Come back!"

   The plane gets further away, my smile fading as it does. This can't be it. The first plane in a month and they just happen to miss us. They can't-

   "Wait- They're turning around!"

   I look back up, watching as the plane comes back towards us. A grin takes over my face, "they see us. Holy shit they see us!"

   I jump up and down with Pope as we scream, the boy wrapping me in a hug.

   We're going home, we're finally going home.

* * *

   "Hey, you okay?" I nudge JJ.

   Ever since our flight began he's been twitching and fiddling, not a good thing. He shakes his head and I know why. He loved our island, our paradise, our routine.

   It was prime pogue life.

   I sigh, resting my head on his shoulder, "it's okay J, we're okay."

   He shakes his head, turning to John B, "whoever this man is, he's not a fisherman."

   "Maybe the season just starts earlier out here," Pope suggests.

   "You sure about that? In the caribbean?"

   "No," Sarah sucks in a breath, "I know what this is, he works for our dad. He's probably been looking for us the entire time."

   I frown, I can't remember when she started doing that. Calling him our dad. It was probably around the time he tried to choke us out together.

   Memories.

   "Well we gotta figure it out, let's look for some..." JJ trails off as his eyes fall on the man's bag. He and John B nod at each other and I shake my head in disbelief.

   This is not smart. We're in the air. The only place to go is down.

   Literally.

   John B leans over the man's other shoulder, "Yo Jimmy! How long have you had this bird?"

   The two begin to talk as JJ slips his hand into the man's bag. He pulls out a book and what looks like a scrap of paper. He passes me the book as he goes through the postcards with Pope.

   El Dorado, I run my hand over the cover.

   "Oh my god."

   I look up at Sarah as she stares down at a postcard. She flips it to us, "the coastal venture. This is the boat we were on, with Eberhimi and the cross."