thirty six.

"King of kooks is going to jail!"

   I pinch my eyes shut. God I love JJ, I'd do anything for that boy but he never knows when to shut his mouth.

   I sigh, "Sarah you don't have to listen to this, let's walk."

   It's not that I don't get it, I do.

   Ward and Rafe are awful. They deserve to be imprisoned for life. They've both hurt me and the people I care about and that's unforgivable.

   And it hurts me knowing that my birth father could be so cruel.

   But for Sarah? I can't even imagine.

   The man who raised her. He read her bedtime stories, made her snacks, and held her hand. This is her dad. Him being a criminal doesn't change that.

   Sarah shakes her head, "I'm fine, it's fine."

   Just then my phone rings, Topper's name popping up on the screen. I answer and put the phone on speaker, "what is it Top? Sarah's here too."

   "I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your dad's being arrested, my grandpa just signed the warrant."

   Sarah purses her lips.

   "So if you have anything you wanna say to him I'd do it now."

   Sarah nods, "thanks Topper."

   "I'll be here if you need anything."

   I smile, "thank you."

* * *

   I don't know what to feel.

   Overwhelming anxiety or joy.

   Cop cars race by us towards Tannyhill, a tense sort of excitement in the air. This is what we've been waiting for all year.

   But what about Sarah? What about Wheezie?

   John B turns to follow the cars and I can see Sarah panicking, "can you please hurry I need to be there for Wheezie."

   "You think I wanna miss this?"

   Jesus Christ.

   Really JB?

   We pull into the long driveway behind the rest of the cars, watching as the agents and police flood towards the docks. We climb out the car and peer over the wall to Tannyhill.

   "I can't see anything."

   "Me either."

   John B scoffs, "screw this, I'm going over."

   He hoists himself over the wall, the rest of us quickly following his lead. I mutter a quick thanks to JJ for the boost before running after Sarah and my friends.

   Just as we make it to the front doors Wheezie comes outside, Rose trying to urge her back in. Sarah quickly wraps the girl in a hug as she spouts off questions about what's happening and why the police are there.

   The two pull away and I bend to Wheezie's level, "go inside, don't come out okay?"

   She looks between me and Sarah, "okay."

   She runs back inside with Rose and I turn back to my friends. I can hear faint shouting as I follow John B and Sarah around the house to the dock. The officers part to let us through at Shoupe's command.

   "What're you doing here Sarah?!"

   I stand beside Sarah as Ward's eyes dance between the two of us. In the back of my mind I wonder if he cares that I'm here. He was once my dad too.